What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pieces of WW1 tank

SG500

Premium Member
As many of us know "Butterfly", Kev, was seriously into research, often tracking down lods of information about what at first sight would appear to be an insignificant item.
Whilst clearing out my e mails I came across these photographs that Kev sent me and include key parts of the email.
A fascinating bit of history:

"I paid a visit to a guy who was well connected to the Lincoln Tank group many years ago and was responsible for getting the WW1 tank on permanent loan to the City. As part of the deal Rustons renovated the tank which had once stood outside Bovington museum.These bits were collected at the time rather than going into the skip.
I bought a piece with a periscope box attached, recognisable piece, and managed to get the rest thrown into the deal. I was amazed when one of the broken pieces joined the large piece and so I started looking more closely.........I think most of the bits belong to the same plate. ..............a sort of WW1 Tank jigsaw puzzle!!!!

After a while and a little searching it became obvious this plate was the right hand side of the drivers cupula.

some pics of the bits........I reckon its around 70% complete, conservative estimate.
As part of the 'restoration' a lot of the plates were removed and replaced with new, as I understand it much of it was scrapped, however these survived, being kept as 'interesting bits'. The pieces show signs of the rivets being drilled out and burned out. The paint wont be original, but over paint of many years and the inside appears to have been coated with bitumin or something similar as a rust preventative.
"

For those interested in the Lincoln tank there is plenty on the internet and a separate thread on BOCN.

http://www.visitlincoln.com/about-lincoln/history-heritage/birthplace-of-the-tank/

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...in-lincoln-to-the-Tank?highlight=lincoln+tank

Dave.

P7180678.jpgPA020444 - Copy - Copy - Copy.JPGreverse (1) - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
When I got hold of the armor fragments shown above, with them were a number of smaller fragments that didn't fit into the jigsaw.
They came together, have the same paint on them and are the same thickness so are almost certainly from a WW1 tank also.
WWI tank fragments are very scarce and recognisable pieces seem to fetch silly money when they come up for sale. These aren't exactly recognisable but do have a degree of provenance as they are linked to the above items.
As they don't fit the rest I've decided to give these away so if anyone would like a piece of a WWI tank (1 per person :)) feel free to send me a pm with your address so I can send a piece to you.
Dave.

IMG_1623.jpg

Last edited:
When I got hold of the armor fragments shown above, with them were a number of smaller fragments that didn't fit into the jigsaw.
They came together, have the same paint on them and are the same thickness so are almost certainly from a WW1 tank also.
WWI tank fragments are very scarce and recognisable pieces seem to fetch silly money when they come up for sale. These aren't exactly recognisable but do have a degree of provenance as they are linked to the above items.
As they don't fit the rest I've decided to give these away so if anyone would like a piece of a WWI tank (1 per person :)) feel free to send me a pm with your address so I can send a piece to you.
Dave.

View attachment 123413

There's still plenty left guys and they're FREE.

Dave.

Thanks to Dave i have a small piece of Tank and thought i would display it with a Model i made years ago.
Best regards
Andy

Attachments

• P1110587.jpg
    P1110587.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 89
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and here am I , holding a piece of the Lincoln tank, and its beautiful. Thanks Dave, I can't help stroking it. To feel the history in such a small , but heavy piece of metal is a great honour. I just wish it could talk to me. Thanks Dave.

Hi Dave,many thanks for your generosity,I concur with hangarman,a rare piece of history,
Again,many thanks,
Don,

Thanks for the feedback guys, you're very welcome.

Still some pieces left if anyone else needs any. Happy to post abroad.

Dave.

Still a few pieces left guys, the larger pieces have gone now but still a chance to own a piece of history.

Dave.

Just recieved my pieces fantastic to have a piece of history . Many thanks to Dave for his generosity
kind regards Daryl

SG if you still have a piece Id love to mount one on a piece of oak on my desk if you have any left. I tried to pm you but my messages aren't working I think.

SG if you still have a piece Id love to mount one on a piece of oak on my desk if you have any left. I tried to pm you but my messages aren't working I think.
Got the PM.
Just pm me your address and I'll send you a piece.
Dave.

Hi Dave,many thanks for your generosity, I now need to find a nice piece of wood to make a plinth to display it. Thank you. All the best,
Richard

Received the fragment, am Very pleased. It is quite
enlightening to see how thin the armour was, one
reads about it, but one does not quite realize the actual
delicacy of the first tanks.

Thank you