What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EBay Safety Rules

siegfreid

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member

Thank you for contacting us. My name is Suraj and I'll be helping you resolve your query regarding the removal of your British ww1 bomb grenade base plug and centre tube listing.Firstly, Id like to appreciate your precious association with eBay. I understand you are concerned about removal of your grenade part listing which is collectable item. I do realize that you have sent many product in last 10 years so you would like to reinstate the listing. Let me see what can be done in this matter.I have reviewed your account and can see that you have listed World War 1 Bomb grenade base plug and enter tube which are parts of explosive. We do not permitted to sell explosives or their part regardless of its capacity or age because of government law and they are extremely dangerous and pose a threat to people's health, safety, and property.

Last edited:
Pretty much the same nonsense reply that I have had several times in the past after having listings removed. They have no clue, I think they just make stuff up.

Mike, the quality of the English alone is on a par with a lot of the Nigerian email phishing scams. Was there not a link included saying "please to click here for reset your account and updating your banking informations"?

Tom . No , it actually came from eBay as I only ever check their stuff from the site messages but I agree the person seems to be using some strange patois that would be consistent with a phishing email . Only to be expected from a firm that thinks a base plug is an explosive & banned by the government . Just as well they pointed out the danger as I've probably sold about 500 of them on eBay over the last 10 years & never realised I was putting the rest of humanity at risk..............

Yes, quite dangerous.
I've been bitten in the past and have been infected quite badly.
The attacks are so severe that I'm now addicted to their bite.

I'm sad to say that I now seek them out and capture them when possible.

Please use caution and wear protective gear when you're around them.
...the brass ones are most dangerous

Don't be like me, protect yourself from those little buggers!

Cheers,
Brad

Last edited:
Hi Mike,
I had a solid steel replica 37mm German projectile removed last week for the same reasons. I went onto live chat to argue my point with a similar operative, I explained it was milled from a solid lump of steel and was not and had never been a projectile, but I was just told again and again it was a firearm and needed to be removed.
Best Weasel

If i didn't unfortunatley believe it, i would say its unbelievable.The standard of 'English'(?) is bordering on unintelligible.

Mike,

Thankfully, the No. 1 grenade safety cap I bought from you on eBay 3 months ago made it safely to the U.S. Apparently, the top end of a No. 1 is less dangerous than the bottom end of a No. 5. At least it hasn't exploded yet, although I'll keep an eye on it for a while until I feel safe again.

Last year I tried to sell a more than 100 years old, antique iron Masclet (saluting cannon) which in the german language is named a "Boeller". This name is also applied to pyrotechnic paper bangers, which are prohibited under E-Bay rules. The listing was removed after a few days. When I called the e-Bay service center and told the lady that I had bought this item on E-Bay before, she explained to me, that e-bay has an intelligence program running over all listings, that is fed with certain search words. When the program finds such a word, the listing is automatically removed. The computer is stupid and can not differentiate, like a human brain. Thats also the problem with mashine translations which often only translate to only gibberish. The service lady told me to call another number to talk about this problem with them. I told her to immediately put my listing online again (which she had no authority to do) or that I would cease selling on E-bay. This I did. Here in germany we have since many months a big political problem going on. The german foreign espionage service took over a US communications-interception facility in Bad Eibing some years ago. Since then US services supply the germans with search words and these intercepted personal communications are then given to US services. Under german law it is a criminal offence to intercept personal communications of german citizens without a special court order. The list of search words has only been shown to a very, very small circle of politicans here. The political haggling about this list of search words is still going on here. 99,999 % of german citizens will never know which personal communications have been illegally transferred to foreign users. That's our new digital world.
Bellifortis.

Last edited:
Bellifortis . The point is eBay or ANY online sites are NOT covered by any privacy laws . As soon as you list anything or discuss anything online that concerns ordnance or militaria , you are immediately flagged . Your rights to privacy on your private emails are then negated [check the small print] . Shouldn't be a problem if the people at the agency checking you have an IQ over 60 . In some cases that's a BIG if......

Hallo Siegfreid,
two things: First, E-bay germany, I don't know of their operation in other countries, where things may be different. The problem is their lack of investing in consumer friendly safety software, or more simply said false translations. As to my case mentioned before: In the german language a "Boeller" written as Umlaut O is an antique saluting device made of metal that has been used for hundreds of years ,mainly in Austria to fire salut during christian, religious functions like marriage and birth. Every church used to have a dozen or more in their posession. These are no military or ammo devices, just the opposite. But, "Boeller" (also written with umlaut O instead of oe) is also the name for pyrotechnic paper bangers, which are prohibited under Ebay rules. It would be easy to program the security program to not tag antique iron boellers, but they don't seem to care.Since quite a few month I get every day mails from Ebay with many entries for "Bollerwagen"(small handdrawn wooden wagons) as hits for my search term "Boeller". The Ebay software reads umlaut O or oe as O. This did not happen up till a year ago, so somebody worked on the software and made changes to the worse. Time is too precious as that I would waste it haggling with incompetent Ebay employees without authority just to be able to sell something. The second thing is: In germany, mail has the full protection of the german privacy laws for german citizens. I know that this is not the case in many places outside of Germany. All the big german E-mail service providers have moved their servers from the US to Germany recently, because they could not guarantee the private security which they have to safeguard according to german law. Since then they all run advertisments "secure E-mail made in germany". Other countries other laws. Something that is criminal conduct in one country, might be completely legal in another. In the digitalised world these extreme differences of legal systems cause also extreme problems.
regards,
Bellifortis.
Bellifortis . The point is eBay or ANY online sites are NOT covered by any privacy laws . As soon as you list anything or discuss anything online that concerns ordnance or militaria , you are immediately flagged . Your rights to privacy on your private emails are then negated [check the small print] . Shouldn't be a problem if the people at the agency checking you have an IQ over 60 . In some cases that's a BIG if......

hmmm....saying that gay bay also enforces 'criminal conduct' prohibitions that aren't illegal in any country....thing I don't understand is that everyone and their dog knows what e-bay is like with their pathetic rules...so why 'winge' when items of ordnance ect get 'pulled' from listings?

SMLE2009 . Please don't misunderstand my post . I actually love eBay with all its foibles ! I've used it for 17 years & you get to know their system . The only reason I posted that particular example was to provide a bit of a laugh for members . How a multi billion dollar company who are , presumably , answerable to their share holders can employ someone who is so obviously challenged in the IQ department is beyond satire but that's the way it is & always will be . I know someone who worked at their head office in Dublin & they have to manually check those items that are flagged up as suspicious . Normally they are allowed through but sometimes spite takes over & in the history of the universe they have NEVER reversed a decision after its made . I was always advised NEVER to query or contact them as it will only make matters worse . Sad really but it's a fact of life & it's still a good site for listing if you know how to bite your tongue from time to time . Mike

No misunderstanding at all Mike and while I don't love e-bay at all I do find some of their policies are good for a laugh..
I used e-bay way back before they banned the selling of 'naughty' things,and indeed had some good laughs trying to get some items past them when they intoduced prohibited items, perfect example was a Mills grenade that was lifted within minutes of listing....relisted it as a Mills bomb and it stayed on auction until sold....as for contacting them I always recieved an automated reply often with nothing to do with what I asked them. Tony

I recently sold a Mills No 5 Centre Piece to a ebayer in Japan. Sadly it got caught up in their 'Global Shipping Programme'. It got to their depot in Northampton ok, but a few days later an e-mail came through saying it was in customs for clearance. Two days later I received another e-mail saying it was a prohibited item. The buyer got a full refund and I was told I could keep the proceeds of the sale.

The customs label stated 'Aluminium casting'. Harly likely to be used by a terrorist.

Ebay applies zero common sense.

John

I've sold some things there, usually they pull an 18pr listing and I just relist with different wording and it sells anyways. I NEVER ever use their
global shipping, I just get the cost from the post office and ship accordingly. If I buy from some one I tell them just get the post office price as I will not pay them if they use the global system as it adds in customs duties before any if there are any at all levied - it's a scam really.

No misunderstanding at all Mike and while I don't love e-bay at all I do find some of their policies are good for a laugh..
I used e-bay way back before they banned the selling of 'naughty' things,and indeed had some good laughs trying to get some items past them when they intoduced prohibited items, perfect example was a Mills grenade that was lifted within minutes of listing....relisted it as a Mills bomb and it stayed on auction until sold....as for contacting them I always recieved an automated reply often with nothing to do with what I asked them. Tony

I've had a few items removed Tony so I once thought I'd test out their intelligence or otherwise by listing a sea shell with a sticker saying '£2' on it. I listed it as a 2 pounder shell. Yes, it got removed! I had a good laugh over that. You ought to try using ebay though, you'd pick up some good cartridge boxes that way!!

Dave