Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member
    Thanks

G.A.R. Projectile - what is it?

Helping to sort out and pack up the ammunition collection at the Firepower Museum at Woolwich Arsenal this week, we came across a batch of projectiles in their launch tubes, which has baffled everyone The projectiles are 70mm dia x 500mm long and the 'launch' tube is the same length with a wall thickness of about 1.5mm - 2.0mm. No documentation available in the catalogue! Photos are attached and we would be very pleased for any help in their identification or any other clues or information. Many thanks, Depotman

GAR 1.jpgGAR 2.jpgGAR 3.jpgGAR 4.jpgGAR 5.jpgGAR 6.jpg

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Depotman For This Useful Post:

AMMOTECHXT (22nd June 2016), beihan62 (23rd June 2016), SG500 (22nd June 2016), TimG (22nd June 2016)

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    I'm thinking it's a type of rocket, as the diagram shows a venturi, presumably each has more than one venturi? The copper tube with holes in it and the green coloured part of the diagram may be propellant and the means of initiating it, to launch the rocket from the steel tube, perhaps electrically, via the hole in the base end of the tube. The diagram shows a weak link between the copper tube and base of the `rocket', probably meaning that it is designed to break off at some point. I'm guessing that the blue colour in the diagram is propellant, to maintain or increase the flight speed; the yellow could be HE filling and the fuze appears to be a mid 20th century shape, assuming that it is British. Photo 3 shows what might be an obturating band, similar in principle to mortar ammo. Perhaps a number of the steel tubes containing rockets were designed to be loaded into a weapon for multiple firings. None of my copies of the 1874, 1902, 1915, 1926 and 1936 British ammo publications shows anything quite the same. For increased accuracy each rocket would need to spin in flight. Interesting and thanks for showing it.
    Any live or dug ordnance shown in my posts has been dealt with accordingly by eod personel

Thanks
    It is probably a 'Z' Battery projectile. Rather than sending multiple high velocity shells at a fleet of aircraft, the idea of sending a battery of low velocity HE shells into the sky, all at the same time was tried.
    I only ever heard about them and I think it was not much of a success, so was quietly phased out quite early in WWII.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AMMOTECHXT View Post
    I'm thinking it's a type of rocket, as the diagram shows a venturi, presumably each has more than one venturi? The copper tube with holes in it and the green coloured part of the diagram may be propellant and the means of initiating it, to launch the rocket from the steel tube, perhaps electrically, via the hole in the base end of the tube. The diagram shows a weak link between the copper tube and base of the `rocket', probably meaning that it is designed to break off at some point. I'm guessing that the blue colour in the diagram is propellant, to maintain or increase the flight speed; the yellow could be HE filling and the fuze appears to be a mid 20th century shape, assuming that it is British. Photo 3 shows what might be an obturating band, similar in principle to mortar ammo. Perhaps a number of the steel tubes containing rockets were designed to be loaded into a weapon for multiple firings. None of my copies of the 1874, 1902, 1915, 1926 and 1936 British ammo publications shows anything quite the same. For increased accuracy each rocket would need to spin in flight. Interesting and thanks for showing it.
    Thanks for your thoughts and question - I should have mentioned that there are three venturi rocket nozzles which are slightly angled to impart spin after firing from it's smooth-bore tube. Depotman

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Depotman For This Useful Post:

AMMOTECHXT (23rd June 2016)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 701 Posts
    No trace in publication "British Rocket Stores 1946."

TimG

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,814 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Looks very much like the US 70mm rockets previously discussed.

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/thread...highlight=70mm
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to US-Subs For This Useful Post:

Spgr30 (23rd June 2016), TimG (22nd June 2016), Yodamaster (23rd June 2016)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 701 Posts
    Thanks to US-Subs's input -

Gun Assisted Rocket Projectile http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ails/r/C634723

TimG

Also - http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C1341113
    Last edited by TimG; 22nd June 2016 at 11:30 PM.

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Depotman View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts and question - I should have mentioned that there are three venturi rocket nozzles which are slightly angled to impart spin after firing from it's smooth-bore tube. Depotman
    Looking at US-Subs link it seems most likely that the raised band on the body was likely to have been engraved by rifling of a barrel to impart spin during launch. This would further improve accuracy. The canted nozzles of the venturi would then maintain accuracy in flight.
    Any live or dug ordnance shown in my posts has been dealt with accordingly by eod personel

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Many thanks to all who replied. It looks like G.A.R. stands for "Gun Assisted Rocket" (thanks Tim G) and the project is similar to a USA project based on a 70mm Rocket and probably from about 1957. If anything else comes up I'll add a follow-up post. Depotman.

Premium/Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,546 Times in 759 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Depotman View Post
    Many thanks to all who replied. It looks like G.A.R. stands for "Gun Assisted Rocket" (thanks Tim G) and the project is similar to a USA project based on a 70mm Rocket and probably from about 1957. If anything else comes up I'll add a follow-up post. Depotman.
    Sorry this is a very late addition and apologies that it is light on information but you can deduce that it is British, drawn in the S1 Drawing Office at ARDE (before it became RARDE).

S1-xxxx1aReduced3.jpg
    N.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonnex For This Useful Post:

millsbomber (29th July 2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast