What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

G.A.R. Projectile - what is it?

Depotman

Premium Member
Helping to sort out and pack up the ammunition collection at the Firepower Museum at Woolwich Arsenal this week, we came across a batch of projectiles in their launch tubes, which has baffled everyone The projectiles are 70mm dia x 500mm long and the 'launch' tube is the same length with a wall thickness of about 1.5mm - 2.0mm. No documentation available in the catalogue! Photos are attached and we would be very pleased for any help in their identification or any other clues or information. Many thanks, Depotman

GAR 1.jpgGAR 2.jpgGAR 3.jpgGAR 4.jpgGAR 5.jpgGAR 6.jpg

I'm thinking it's a type of rocket, as the diagram shows a venturi, presumably each has more than one venturi? The copper tube with holes in it and the green coloured part of the diagram may be propellant and the means of initiating it, to launch the rocket from the steel tube, perhaps electrically, via the hole in the base end of the tube. The diagram shows a weak link between the copper tube and base of the `rocket', probably meaning that it is designed to break off at some point. I'm guessing that the blue colour in the diagram is propellant, to maintain or increase the flight speed; the yellow could be HE filling and the fuze appears to be a mid 20th century shape, assuming that it is British. Photo 3 shows what might be an obturating band, similar in principle to mortar ammo. Perhaps a number of the steel tubes containing rockets were designed to be loaded into a weapon for multiple firings. None of my copies of the 1874, 1902, 1915, 1926 and 1936 British ammo publications shows anything quite the same. For increased accuracy each rocket would need to spin in flight. Interesting and thanks for showing it.

It is probably a 'Z' Battery projectile. Rather than sending multiple high velocity shells at a fleet of aircraft, the idea of sending a battery of low velocity HE shells into the sky, all at the same time was tried.
I only ever heard about them and I think it was not much of a success, so was quietly phased out quite early in WWII.

I'm thinking it's a type of rocket, as the diagram shows a venturi, presumably each has more than one venturi? The copper tube with holes in it and the green coloured part of the diagram may be propellant and the means of initiating it, to launch the rocket from the steel tube, perhaps electrically, via the hole in the base end of the tube. The diagram shows a weak link between the copper tube and base of the `rocket', probably meaning that it is designed to break off at some point. I'm guessing that the blue colour in the diagram is propellant, to maintain or increase the flight speed; the yellow could be HE filling and the fuze appears to be a mid 20th century shape, assuming that it is British. Photo 3 shows what might be an obturating band, similar in principle to mortar ammo. Perhaps a number of the steel tubes containing rockets were designed to be loaded into a weapon for multiple firings. None of my copies of the 1874, 1902, 1915, 1926 and 1936 British ammo publications shows anything quite the same. For increased accuracy each rocket would need to spin in flight. Interesting and thanks for showing it.

Thanks for your thoughts and question - I should have mentioned that there are three venturi rocket nozzles which are slightly angled to impart spin after firing from it's smooth-bore tube. Depotman

Thanks for your thoughts and question - I should have mentioned that there are three venturi rocket nozzles which are slightly angled to impart spin after firing from it's smooth-bore tube. Depotman

Looking at US-Subs link it seems most likely that the raised band on the body was likely to have been engraved by rifling of a barrel to impart spin during launch. This would further improve accuracy. The canted nozzles of the venturi would then maintain accuracy in flight.

Many thanks to all who replied. It looks like G.A.R. stands for "Gun Assisted Rocket" (thanks Tim G) and the project is similar to a USA project based on a 70mm Rocket and probably from about 1957. If anything else comes up I'll add a follow-up post. Depotman.

Many thanks to all who replied. It looks like G.A.R. stands for "Gun Assisted Rocket" (thanks Tim G) and the project is similar to a USA project based on a 70mm Rocket and probably from about 1957. If anything else comes up I'll add a follow-up post. Depotman.

Sorry this is a very late addition and apologies that it is light on information but you can deduce that it is British, drawn in the S1 Drawing Office at ARDE (before it became RARDE).

S1-xxxx1aReduced3.jpg

Sorry this is a very late addition and apologies that it is light on information but you can deduce that it is British, drawn in the S1 Drawing Office at ARDE (before it became RARDE).

View attachment 124356

Norman, Thanks very much - you drg is certainly of the item and confirms that it was an experimental project originating at Fort Halstead. Depotman

Norman, Thanks very much - you drg is certainly of the item and confirms that it was an experimental project originating at Fort Halstead. Depotman

Sadly I have never found a comprehensive source of S1 drawings, just the odd one or two, of which the one I sent is an example. The S1 drawing office presided over some of the most important munitions designs from the end of the war to about 1960. I have a copy of their 'parent numbers ' list and all of the favourites are there (Red Queen, missiles, grenades 85 to 94 plus wire-wound and rocket assisted grenades, 32pr, 102, 105 and 110mm projectiles - the list goes on).

I remember seeing the items at Woolwich several years ago. I hope not too many exhibits are having to be disposed of as a result of the move to Larkhill - as is often the case with Service collections.

Wow... thanks so much for posting this!
Those are VERY similar to the American Gun-Boosted Rocket Program items we've found here on Redstone Arsenal Alabama.
the T-231/321 is the 70mm variant
the T225/228 is the 38mm variant

The Program here in the US ran from 1951 to 1958 until it suddenly closed down one day.... apparently that was the day the first Heat Seeking Air to Air Missile was unveiled.... made "Flock Shooting" at bombers obsolete.

Thanks very much for confirming the similarity - I guess this project was one of many that the UK and USA were collaborating on. I didn't know of the sudden close down and wonder if ours went at the same time? Depotman