What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inside Porton Down Documentary UK BBC 4 starts 28/6 9pm

There is a documentary starting on BBC 4 in the UK on the 28th June at 9pm, called Inside Porton Down. The trailer looks interesting. Will be available on i player, not sure if it can be seen outside the UK ? Link : -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/inside-porton-down

I'm looking forward to it. As a serving soldier I often saw a notice on Part One Orders asking for `volunteers for Porton'. They offered a modest amount of cash per test and wanted guinea pigs, probably just for wearing new designs of respirator and NBC suit but I was always a little dubious, so never volunteered. I never met anyone who volunteered to go there.
In 1981 I attended the all-arms NBC instructors' course. Until then I thought that I had received a good grounding in NBC, having had two years of extended training as a boy soldier 1978-80. On the course we were taught what I considered was the basics necessary to be able to survive and fight, that every serviceman and woman would need. It opened my eyes to the fact that most of us had so little knowledge and expertise. No wonder then that the Russians at that time had whole regiments of troops trained and equipped for chemical decontamination but also trained for using and firing chemical munitions.

Last edited: