What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hooked quillion bayonet

Sully

I have this hooked quillion bayonet, can anyone distinguish any makers marks? I'm not well up on them but can see the dates and proof marks.
20160626_170628.jpg
magnify_2016-06-26_17-09-52.jpgmagnify_2016-06-26_17-09-26.jpg

I think that type of crows foot with the curved lines is Indian ? They did make a lot of those Enfield bayonets .

I have one of these that was found in Turkey, it was dug up, and brought back by a Canadian Soldier in the 70s.

Dean

nice find,it's not Indian or it would be marked E.R.I (Edward Rex Imperiatus),the curved crows foot is normal for this period.
This examples does not look like it has any makers mark(not unusual) but the 'X' bend test mark as well as the inspection marks would comfirm it is English,the dates are intresting as it was manufactured in January 1910 but the '14 (1914) would suggest that it was modified or seriously refurbished/repaired in 1914 but survived having the quillion removed(ordered to be removed,L of C 29 October,1913)

Last edited:
Great find - getting harder to find these nowadays!

Yes not Indian as they were somewhat "resistant" to introducing the 1907 pattern until 1911 as they preferred to keep the 1903 pattern (well, in fact preferred the Japanese version after the 1907 trials)
The Indian manufactured ones were produced by the "Rifle Factory Ishapore" and had a "RFI" stamped on the ricasso (in addition to the "ERI"......well in theory should have been "GRI" in 1911)

Interesting if the bayonet was submitted for repairs /modifications, then it is unusual that the hook wasn't removed as the model B235 (without the hook) was approved in 1913.

Last edited:
Was quite happy with it myself when i stumbled across it in a little shop in Arromaches for €30. What woul be the best way to stop the rust wirhout damaging it.
I have also read that a lot of Australian regiments had them before they decided it wasn't fit for purpose, Could it have been made in Australia? Is the man on the horse significant? I'm also looking for a scabbard for it if anyone's got one lying around?

Last edited:
Not Australia made - the Lithgow stamps are completely different...........

The "E" above the "X" (Bend test mark) would be "Enfield" manufactured.

The attached sheets may be useful

Attachments

• bayonet 1_0001.jpg
    bayonet 1_0001.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 43
  • bayonet 2_0001.jpg
    bayonet 2_0001.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
the E is not above or part of the X mark it is below and part of the inspection mark,by Enfield,and is no indication of it being manufactured by Enfield but more likely a sub contractors bayonet inspected and tested at Enfield, Enfield manufactured bayonets would be have EFD marked on it somewhere.

Last edited:
I thought about electrolysis but doesn't it make the metal go black? I've seen that other bayonet, if only mine was worth that much!

Just done a bit of light cleaning on said bayonet and found "3 KOSB". I've done a search and apparently the 3rd Kings Own Scottish Borders didn't leave Britain during WW1, yet i acquired it in France, Normandy. A bit puzzling! Anyone got any ideas?