Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Did the British/Americans deploy anti-personnel bombs in WW2?

After spending several decades studying German SD2 Butterfly Bombs, it suddenly occurred to me, did the British/Americans deploy similar anti-personnel bombs in WW2? (And I don't mean the M83). I've seen very little/next to nothing ever written on the subject.

If so, what were they and if not, why not?

Thanks.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 782 Posts
    The British used the 8lb fragmentation bomb. A bit like a round cheese, approx 150mm x 75mm.

TimG

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TimG For This Useful Post:

LEI-13-HG (14th July 2016)

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    GBR : Frag 8 lbs, Frag 20 lbs
    USA : Frag 20-23 lbs

Yoda
    Any live or dug ordnance presented by me has been disposed of by EOD technicians.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Yodamaster For This Useful Post:

LEI-13-HG (14th July 2016)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LEI-13-HG View Post
    .........And I don't mean the M83).
    Why not the M 83? It was certainly made in WW2 but how widespread it was used I don't know.

Dave.
    Last edited by SG500; 13th July 2016 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks
    Because it was not an original Allied device, just copied from the Germans and I am well aware of it.

The M83 was only put into production in 1944 but the training films suggest its use was for the Pacific. Although it was definitely used in Korea and Vietnam, I'm not even sure it was used in WW2.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LEI-13-HG For This Useful Post:

SG500 (14th July 2016)

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,029 Times in 1,164 Posts
    You need to define what you are looking for as an "anti-personnel" bomb. Most bombs, including submunitions, are generally anti-material, while any bomb can be considered anti-personnel if you are in the wrong place. Many designs have incorporated anti-movement features like those in the SD-2 / M83 to prevent re-occupying an area or clearing a runway etc., but that does not mean that they were designed or specifically intended as antipersonnel. Size is not a criteria, even Lazy Dogs were generally considered anti-material. Munitions specifically designed for AP use were generally later (60s-70s) and fell into types like gravel mines, ADAM, PAWS.
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by US-Subs View Post
    You need to define what you are looking for as an "anti-personnel" bomb. Most bombs, including submunitions, are generally anti-material, while any bomb can be considered anti-personnel if you are in the wrong place. Many designs have incorporated anti-movement features like those in the SD-2 / M83 to prevent re-occupying an area or clearing a runway etc., but that does not mean that they were designed or specifically intended as antipersonnel. Size is not a criteria, even Lazy Dogs were generally considered anti-material. Munitions specifically designed for AP use were generally later (60s-70s) and fell into types like gravel mines, ADAM, PAWS.
    Sorry, but I think you're just splitting hairs now - nobody on this forum could mistake exactly what the type of munition I was referring to on this post.

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,029 Times in 1,164 Posts
    I disagree.
    Classifying the SD-2 as an AP munition because of its size is incorrect. With due respect to Yodamaster neither of the two small bombs/submunitions he mentions was intended as AP either, though they clearly have AP effects. Likewise classifying bombs as AP simply because they can contain an anti-disturbance fuze is inaccurate and incorrect. Otherwise any bomb that can take any anti-disturbance fuze, regardless of size would be considered AP. Without definition you lack clarity and it is not possible to answer your question. Would the AN-M50X submunitions apply? Or the AN-M50T? The MK34? Define your terms.
    Last edited by US-Subs; 14th July 2016 at 02:38 PM.
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

12. The Following User Says Thank You to US-Subs For This Useful Post:

25thapril (14th July 2016)

Ordnance Approved
    Images
    Thanks
    • We have found some M83 in Italy , all with fuses of T version (experimental version)
    Last edited by frasche; 16th July 2016 at 10:47 AM.
    Any Live or Recovered Ordnance shown in my posts was dealt with by EOD personnel

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frasche For This Useful Post:

Bellifortis (7th August 2016), TimG (16th July 2016)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frasche View Post
    • We have found some M83 in Italy , all with fuses of T version (experimental version)
    Which T numbers did you find?
    I've seen T48 and several versions of the T 49 but still looking for T47.
    Dave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast