What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did the British/Americans deploy anti-personnel bombs in WW2?

LEI-13-HG

After spending several decades studying German SD2 Butterfly Bombs, it suddenly occurred to me, did the British/Americans deploy similar anti-personnel bombs in WW2? (And I don't mean the M83). I've seen very little/next to nothing ever written on the subject.

If so, what were they and if not, why not?

Thanks.

The British used the 8lb fragmentation bomb. A bit like a round cheese, approx 150mm x 75mm.

TimG

Because it was not an original Allied device, just copied from the Germans and I am well aware of it.

The M83 was only put into production in 1944 but the training films suggest its use was for the Pacific. Although it was definitely used in Korea and Vietnam, I'm not even sure it was used in WW2.

You need to define what you are looking for as an "anti-personnel" bomb. Most bombs, including submunitions, are generally anti-material, while any bomb can be considered anti-personnel if you are in the wrong place. Many designs have incorporated anti-movement features like those in the SD-2 / M83 to prevent re-occupying an area or clearing a runway etc., but that does not mean that they were designed or specifically intended as antipersonnel. Size is not a criteria, even Lazy Dogs were generally considered anti-material. Munitions specifically designed for AP use were generally later (60s-70s) and fell into types like gravel mines, ADAM, PAWS.

You need to define what you are looking for as an "anti-personnel" bomb. Most bombs, including submunitions, are generally anti-material, while any bomb can be considered anti-personnel if you are in the wrong place. Many designs have incorporated anti-movement features like those in the SD-2 / M83 to prevent re-occupying an area or clearing a runway etc., but that does not mean that they were designed or specifically intended as antipersonnel. Size is not a criteria, even Lazy Dogs were generally considered anti-material. Munitions specifically designed for AP use were generally later (60s-70s) and fell into types like gravel mines, ADAM, PAWS.

Sorry, but I think you're just splitting hairs now - nobody on this forum could mistake exactly what the type of munition I was referring to on this post.

I disagree.
Classifying the SD-2 as an AP munition because of its size is incorrect. With due respect to Yodamaster neither of the two small bombs/submunitions he mentions was intended as AP either, though they clearly have AP effects. Likewise classifying bombs as AP simply because they can contain an anti-disturbance fuze is inaccurate and incorrect. Otherwise any bomb that can take any anti-disturbance fuze, regardless of size would be considered AP. Without definition you lack clarity and it is not possible to answer your question. Would the AN-M50X submunitions apply? Or the AN-M50T? The MK34? Define your terms.

Last edited:
  • We have found some M83 in Italy , all with fuses of T version (experimental version)

Last edited:
  • We have found some M83 in Italy , all with fuses of T version (experimental version)

Which T numbers did you find?
I've seen T48 and several versions of the T 49 but still looking for T47.
Dave.