What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What shell cases are they?

ROBIN BIRD

grandad brought home from WW11 a pair of brass shells which he put bases on for grand mother to put flowers in. Dad used to put nuts and bolts in them and they then passed onto me. I am now going to pass them on to my grandson but what kind of shell cases are they? They stand 6 inches high and 2.5 inches in diameter. robin bird

Attachments

• shells.jpg
    shells.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 53
Really hard to say without the base markings, there are quite a few casings that were around that size, even more difficult if they are sections of a cartridge case! Regards Ozzi.

Without more exact sizes I would guess at 40mm Bofors but could well be 3pr. Ignoring the base and the flare at the top, what is the diameter of the main body, top and bottom?
Cheers. Was your grandfather in the Navy?
Gary

2 INCH DIAMETER. Grand dad was the Guards. Bofors were WW11, were they not. Dad was in flying boats during WW11 conducting anti-submarine research. He flew in Sunderlands fitted with experimental guns such as beam gun, 20 or possibly 40mm calibre and in the protoype Sunderland K4774 fitted with a Hispano anti submarine bow gun. Maybe dad gave them to grand dad to convert into vases? Probably I will never know but appreciate your feedback and for making me to rethink the shells' origin, WW2 not WW1, robin

Last edited: