What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 105mm Tank SX689 Practice Flash Shell Restoration

peregrinvs

Previously discussed on here. Made at ROF Patricroft in either April 1968 or 1969. I've been slowly fettling it back to approximately it's original appearance and thought I'd post some progress pics.

105mm TK - cleaned (1).jpg105mm TK - cleaned (7).JPG105mm TK - cleaned (5).JPG105mm TK - cleaned (4).JPG105mm TK - cleaned (3).JPG105mm TK Prac Flash restoration (5).JPG105mm TK Prac Flash restoration (4).JPG105mm TK Prac Flash restoration (1).JPG105mm TK Prac Flash restoration (3).JPG105mm TK Prac Flash restoration (2).JPG

I'm trying out an idea I had for making a lookalike upper driveband: cutting and shaping a suitably sized piece of rubber strip. I've since glued it in place and am planning to conceal the join with filler and paint the whole thing copper. I've also made a stencil for the body markings which I haven't done before, so fingers crossed it works.

Cheers,
Mark

PS. Still after a nose plug...

Very nice, i look forward to seeing how it turns out.
Best regards Weasel

More progress... I've stuck on the copper painted rubber 'drive band' and attempted to use the stencil I made. Alas the latter is a fail; the shell is slightly hour glass shaped (possibly some sort of hydraulic force thing between the flash charge and the HE substitute when it was fired) and I couldn't get the stencil flat = most of the characters are blurred.:tinysmile_cry_t2: An attempt to re-touch with a small brush merely resulted in it looking slightly less awful (I don't have a steady hand). So on to Plan B: I'm going to try the 'reverse masking' method using half-inch vinyl letters. Wish me luck...

Attachments

• 105mm TK SX689 painted 1.JPG
    105mm TK SX689 painted 1.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 105mm TK SX689 painted 2.JPG
    105mm TK SX689 painted 2.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
More progress... I've stuck on the copper painted rubber 'drive band' and attempted to use the stencil I made. Alas the latter is a fail; the shell is slightly hour glass shaped (possibly some sort of hydraulic force thing between the flash charge and the HE substitute when it was fired) and I couldn't get the stencil flat = most of the characters are blurred.:tinysmile_cry_t2: An attempt to re-touch with a small brush merely resulted in it looking slightly less awful (I don't have a steady hand). So on to Plan B: I'm going to try the 'reverse masking' method using half-inch vinyl letters. Wish me luck...

The slightly "pot-bellied" look is seen on many armour piercing projectiles which have hit armour plate. If they do manage to penetrate then the copper driving band is usually sheared flush with the diameter of the projectile or ripped off entirely. Perhaps some similar trauma befell your shell.

gravelbelly

Thanks, but I'm fairly certain it's not impact damage as it's a thin walled shell and would be a lot more distorted if it had hit something solid like armour plate. My theory is that the bursting charge in the base (which also partially shattered a concrete ring into which it was set) pushed the HE substitute forward with some force - bulging the case and blowing out the nose plug. The lower bulge also caused the upper drive band to break and fall away.

Finished! :) Compare and contrast to when I first got it.

105mm TK SX689 - finished (1).JPG105mm TK SX689 - finished (2).JPG105mm TK Projectile (3).JPG

As mentioned the stencil didn't work out, so I tried the reverse masking method with stick on letters. The character alignment isn't as accurate, but otherwise it looks a lot better. The matt deep saxe blue paint proved very easily marked so I finished it off with a coat of satin lacquer and I'm very pleased with it. I was using the one here as a model, although for the hell of it I decided to add the 'SX 689' design code as I've seen other projectiles marked in this way.

http://www.jcmilitaria.com/ordnance_artillery_ammo.asp?Start=30

Now need a correct British 'RW 242' marked 105mm TK case to go with it as well as a nose plug.

Cheers,
Mark

Very respectable restoration. I like the drive band, I'm doing one in copper and its a pain in the watsit... Stenciling looks good too.
Cheers
Gary

Very respectable restoration. I like the drive band, I'm doing one in copper and its a pain in the watsit... Stenciling looks good too.
Thank you. There are various imperfections if you look closely, but overall I'm happy with it. My next project is a fired 105mm TK SX 411 BE smoke shell that I acquired at W&P. It's currently with a friend, so I don't have any pictures. It has some cosmetic rust and a bent ballistic cap, but overall looks a good candidate for restoration. (I'm going to conceal the cap with a fuze cover) Stay tuned...

PS. Good luck with your new copper drive band.