What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nazi concrete, Marquise, France

AMMOTECHXT

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Earlier this month we went on holiday to France and on the way back stayed in a hotel at Marquise, just north of Boulogne and about 3 or 4 miles inland from the Channel coast. I went for a walkabout to see what I could see. In WW2 the hotel was requisitioned by the German army as a local HQ. Within 1/4 of a mile I found what I think are two observation posts and a couple of more substantial bunkers, perhaps communications posts. One of the local people seems to be using one as a garden shed. I noticed that the concrete is gradually degrading, creating stalagmites and spalling the concrete where reinforcement steel is rusting just under the surface. The structures still maintain their integrity. The first five shots are all of one of the observation posts. Photo 1 is the entrance at the eastern end. Photo 2 is looking down at the end of the entrance corridor. Photo 3 is a view north over a gentle valley. Photo 4 is of the underside of the edge of the roof over one of the observation slits (photo on its side). There was no gun emplacement on the roof. Photo 6 is of a second such structure with (Photo 7) a more substantial bunker beyond and to the left. Photo 8 is a second substantial bunker in someone's garden on the edge of the village.
P1050693.jpgP1050692.jpgP1050690.jpgP1050694.jpgP1050695.jpgP1050698.jpgP1050699.jpgP1050700.jpg

I agree, it should be restored/cleaned up, especially with Camouflage colours..

It would really look the part, and I don't think it would cost that much to do?

Imagine it with some Camouflage netting over it :top: