What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your first / start of your collection

Weasel

Premium Member
I found this picture while scanning in a load of old negatives, it shows my very first collection back in 1984, it has grown a little since then and i still have the No36 that was given to me by an very generous old man in darkest Cornwall. If you have any pictures of yours in the begining perhaps an item that got you started please post below.
Best regards Weasel.

First Collection.jpg

My first "find"was in the early 70s,while investigating the crash site of B17 Sondra Kay,which crashed in high ground when returning from a raid on Germany,it was a fired 50cal case,(fired during the last mission)head stamp was DM 42,my initials and year of birth,
Regards,
Don,

I can't remember the first item in the collection but I got a pretty early start. I recently found this Polaroid photo of my collection taken in July, 1971. I know there were other grenade and mortar items not pictured but this was most of it. I had just turned 19 at this point.

I do recall the PIAT was the first gun I ever bought, at age 15 in 1967. It cost $6 and $12 to ship it across the U.S. via Railway Express. It was eventually donated in the late 1970s to the 72nd Seaforth Highlanders Museum in Canada as I concentrated more on American ordnance.

July 1971 Collection.jpg

Great picture and thanks for sharing it. Don, like you I found a small piece of crashed German aircraft on Dartmoor as a teenager and that sparked my interest, sadly lost many years ago.
Best regards Weasel.

What started me off was what my Grandfather gave me back in the 60's a German belt he brought back from the war, i was hooked ever since :tinysmile_shy_t:

Attachments

• P1110592.jpg
    P1110592.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 24
So I started in 1972! And then began the addiction! and continues to this day.

Attachments

• Scan_20160806.jpg
    Scan_20160806.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 82
After a long search in my cupboard with pictures, this old polaroid from June 1984 was the oldest picture I could find. Just a year after receiving my collectors license which was called a 'bijzondere machtiging' (special allowance) in those days.
Looking at the picture it makes me realize time flies..............

Attachments

• June 1984.jpg
    June 1984.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 81
Thank you Pzgr40 for taking the time to dig out your picture, its great to see how people started.
Best regards Weasel

I had put this up a short while ago, but I'll repost it here. Several
collections later and one or two lifetimes later I'm
here on this site collecting Ordnance which for the previous
half a century I hadn't really done or done very well~

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 8.17.38 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 8.17.38 AM.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 64
Original ord display

Found a pic from many moons ago('82? '83?). First homegrown bullet board and more. My how I've grown.

Scan_20191111 (6).jpg

Rick, look how organized it all is. Now look at your shed today:bigsmile: Of course, my collection room is probably much more disorganized than your shed(s):tongue: