What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.5x50 ID

A couple of pics of my Solothurn round. Note that the bullet has a more noticeable join between the ogive and the shank by comparison with a Type 38.
P1020385.jpgP1020389.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics Tony, that's certainly an unusual headstamp and a very strange bullet. I have a 7mm Mauser made by Solothurn and the 'S' has exactly the same distinctive serifs. I can't think who this cartridge could have been made for - are you able to post this on the IAA forum?
Jim

Ken Elks has the round documented in his book on Japanese ammo, but there is no mention of why or for whom.
I can't recall my reasoning, but I have my example cataloged as a "Swiss experimental". That info might have come along with the round when I got it a few years back at SLICS.

For those who don't have Ken's books, he says this:

"6.5mm Arisaka cartridges were also manufactured using cases made by Schweizerische Metallwerke Selve & Co, of Thun, Switzerland. These use the manufacturer's code letter S and are dated to 1921. These have a distinctive, almost spire-pointed, bullet with cupro-nickel-clad steel jacket. The bullet is fairly standard, 138 grains, and the propellant is 32 grains of grey nitro-cellulose flake."