What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenade, Mortar what part is this from

BMG50

Premium Member
Can anyone guess what this is from, I have posted before but no luck, maybe new members may know, I have found these knurled round tops many times but for love of God cannot place what they are. I did think they were off a 81mm mortar but where they have been found is near the vicinity of a grenade range demolition area. As you can see made of aluminum the threaded part are usually ripped to bits. Any ideas.

Attachments

• KINDLE_CAMERA_1470071062000.jpg
    KINDLE_CAMERA_1470071062000.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 109
  • KINDLE_CAMERA_1470070994000.jpg
    KINDLE_CAMERA_1470070994000.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 84
  • KINDLE_CAMERA_1470070968000.jpg
    KINDLE_CAMERA_1470070968000.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 97
My first guess was the base "plug" of a Dutch M23 grenade, but after looking at one of mine, it's different. So, I don't know.

I think this was mentioned a while back. This is something the British army used during the 50s or 60s post war, could be wrong even wartime.

certainly looks like the top piece of this demolition adaptor.dont know its designation but it screws into a 1lb block of TNT and holds in the fuse/detonator.

Attachments

• P1020872.JPG
    P1020872.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 78
  • P1020873.JPG
    P1020873.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 84
I think this is the one as i have also found bits with lines down the side on the bottom piece in the first picture. What is this Demolition adaptor called and is there any more info on it. Do you have a picture of the top.

I think these may have been used by the navy to use as anti-swimmer charges to throw over the side of a ship.there may have been another plug in the top to waterproof it but mine is the same as the ones you show in your photos.

I have just found a shrapnel side bit of this in the box with the lines down the side. I would be interested to see more pictures with the Knurled top off, not sure what this bit does, does it hold a striker or house det cord?

certainly looks like the top piece of this demolition adaptor.dont know its designation but it screws into a 1lb block of TNT and holds in the fuse/detonator.
Might be it's correct name is Scare Charge 1Lbs as written on can

here are some more pics of the top and with fuze installed.there is a heavy rubber washer which compresses when you tighten the knurled top and holds in the fuse and also waterproofs it.there was probably a washer between the holder and the charge as well.

Attachments

• P1020877.JPG
    P1020877.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 30
  • P1020878.JPG
    P1020878.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 30
I assume that the rounded thread that screws into the tin charge has a pressed steel thread similar to some British smoke designs. Many thanks for solving a query that's been nagging me since I first saw the first top about 40 years ago. Never would have guesed it was this.

Anyone have a spare mint top knurled plug and body with the lines down the side.