What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rainbow Warrior - charges used to sink

Bonnex

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
On 10th July 1985 the vessel 'Rainbow Warrior' was sunk in a New Zealand harbour by a French covert action team. The case is well documented elsewhere but I have not been able to find out what equipment was employed. Specifically I am interested in the type of limpet mine that was used. Apparently two charges were used, one on the hull and one on the prop shaft. New Zealand Police recovered some unexpended explosives stores at the scene and presumably photographs of these items exist somewhere but I cannot locate them.

Can anybody help please?

I don't know if any pictures of the charges or descriptions of the limpet mines were ever released.i will check some sources over here.it is still a very touchy subject here in nz

The charge should have been Terrorism. ..oh, you mean the other charge...:/

The charge should have been Terrorism. /

If ordered by a state or government, it's called a 'covert operation against terrorism', not terrorism. The bigger the country, eiher the more powerful in economic or military sense, the more 'legal' it gets.

Spoken from the perspective of a small country, although not entirely inaccurate......

When he was interviewed 15 years ago, the piece Nobel-Price recipient, Nelson Mandela, said: "In the eyes of the world, if you loose, you are a terrorist and if you win, you are a freedom fighter.

I don't know if any pictures of the charges or descriptions of the limpet mines were ever released.i will check some sources over here.it is still a very touchy subject here in nz

That would be fantastisk Kiwieod, please get back to us on this.

Hey, we're Dutch, not French, we do not need explosives to sink a ship, we send our politicians that talk so much nonsense it's happy to sink.

Last edited:
research is continuing but information is a bit sketchy.i can find no mention of the police finding any extra devices left behind(the nz navy conducted a dive search of the ship and surrounding area and found nothing other than debris from the ship.

in an interview(within the last few years) with one of the divers who placed the charges he said they were far bigger in the result that they caused(the ship sunk in 4 minutes)and they didn't have a chance to practice with them either.that would suggest the charges may have been made for this job and not been a standard device.

I would have thought that it would have been prudent to use a specially made device instead of a standard issue device in the interest of deniability.

I would have thought that it would have been prudent to use a specially made device instead of a standard issue device in the interest of deniability.

Another option, if your deniability plan included accusing another nation state, might be to use that nation's hardware.