What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deactivated 1Kg Incendiary & Certification

Ossington

I have an acquaintance who has inherited what I imagine (by her verbal description) to be a German 1Kg incendiary. She won't keep it in her house until it can be confirmed that it is inert. Can this be ascertained visually with attempting to dismantle it please? Though neither of us intend to try! A row of holes near the base are "see through and it makes a rattle". Will its weight be a safe indication that it is deficient of a primer etc?
How do you go about gaining a "free from explosive" certificate (do they even exist?) and how do you then match the cert to this particular item?
TIA.

Unfortunately the Ouija board is not working today so a picture would help. As they say a picture speaks a thousand words.

As far as a deactivation certificate goes you can make your own. You must prove it is inert by facts about the item in question and sign it as you will be responsible if injury or death happens because of the item you deemed inert.
I made hundreds of these for my collection including pictures of item unassembled ........ if your items are checked by authorities FFE certificates have no use only good for selling or health and safety .....
My advise for UK collectors is keep items disassembled as when checked by authorities damage will occur

Last edited:

It weighs 825 gm. So it is missing the bangie bit right? I don't want to dismantle it myself, and anyway, I haven't got the right C spanner. Is there a "can do" guy out there willing to have a go please?

You can look right through the body, meaning the incendiary filling and fuze train are missing, thus this part is safe. It just depends if the small impact detonator cap is inside the nose fuze. Chances are it is safe, but...