What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1912 Naval Ammunition/Powder Box

Ian1962

Hi, I have just acquired a very nice Mahogany and Brass Ammunition or Powder Box, it's dated 1912 on the box and 1915 on the liner and has the letter "N" hence me thinking it might be Naval. I'm pretty sure its British due to similarities with the leather bound wire handles and the lid carrying handles/ammo box locking pins. Can anyone throw some light on the subject? Thanks!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

I know these as the transport case for 12 pounder naval shell cases stacked with wooden holding blocks to keep them apart. The powder boxes where totally brass/copper.

12Lb Ammo Box

I know these as the transport case for 12 pounder naval shell cases stacked with wooden holding blocks to keep them apart. The powder boxes where totally brass/copper.

Thanks! Do you have any pictures showing the guns and boxes together? Or the boxes full of cases? I don't have a handle for the lock so any information on that would be much appreciated! Cheers, Ian

I know of these boxes from ww1 provenance but ww2 used. I also see them a lot on British shipwrecks but only the metal inside and all the brass bits, I don't have pics of those. But sometime ago one washed up on a sunny beach and I have those.
They key I have never seen...
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I believe RCD is Royal Carriage Dept at Woolwich Arsenal. Scarce box! A good rub over with some beeswax would look great. Tig.

Fantastic - thanks all! Michel could you measure the case dimensions, I can't seem to find them on the web.....Ian