What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US 75mm M18

hangarman

Can anyone tell me if a 75mm M18 round would fit a US Model 1917 field gun. As far as I can see they are the same cartridges at least. I have a British made 1940 dated M18 cartridge with a double crimp and wondered if it could have been made for use in the M1917 field guns that the Americans sent over in the early days of WW2?
Cheers
Gary

The cartridge case is most likely the same, but I'm not sure if the 1917 guns could handle the pressure of the new WWII rounds, especially the Supercharged ones for the Sherman.

Looking at the complete round charts in chapter 5 of TM9-1901 dated 1944, almost all of the loadings were acceptable to be fired in the M1897, M1916, and M1917 guns. There is an electronic version of this manual floating around. Some Supercharge rounds were only used in newer guns and some rounds were used in the aircraft guns.

That manual is really the Bible for U.S. artillery ammo in WWII. Manuals for the individual guns might have additional rounds, along with the Ammunition Inspector's Guide.

Thanks Hazord, ill look for the TM9-1901. Just need to find a projectile and primer to match the cartridge.....
Cheers
Gary