What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9mmP Case Production at H^N in 1944???

Lewis

I have been collecting 9mm Luger/Para ammunition for about 60 years. Very early on I noted the great headstamp variation in the detail content of the British WWII ammunition. I assumed that it was just a result of the production volume and a lack of standards on the content of the headstamps resulting in the headstamps varying over time as old bunters were worn out and new ones produced. This variation occurs at both Hirwaun and Blackpole, but the variation was noticably wider at Hirwaun. An example is that the caliber designation was shown as 9M.M. or 9MM or 9 MM or 9 M M or 9M/M or 9 M/M. There was also considerable variation in letter size, the shape of the number "9" and other variations.

A few months ago I picked up a sealed box of Hirwaun production of Mk II cartridges from 1944. When I opened it, I was amazed at the variations in the headstamps. Of the 48 cartridges, there were 26 distinctly different headstamps which were made from distinctly different bunters. My old assumption that this was just lack of headstamp standards over time seem unlikely. The cases loaded and packed into this one box had to be available at the loading machines and were likely mostly produced in roughly the same time-frame. I am working now to try to categorize the differences so I can document them in some kind of reasonably understandable manner.

The Hirwaun production must have been a massive operation. I have no idea how many case production lines were running at the same time producing cases, but likely there were quite a few. Other factories have have used the load code on the box, or other methods to identify the date of loading as well as such things as the Quality Inspector, the Crew doing the production and/or the production line.

It may be that each crew had a set of headstamp bunters that identified them and the line they worked on. They could have installed their bunters at the beginning of each shift and removed them at the end of the shift. I am not claiming this is what happened, just offering it as one explanation of the diversity of headstamps in the single Hirwaun box. Unfortunately the date stamped on the box is unreadable.

Does anyone know how many 9mmP case production lines were running at Hirwaun at any one time in 1944???

I doubt there will ever be an answer to this variation, but would appreciate the thoughts of other Forum members.

Looking forward to your comments.

Cheers,
Lew

Here are some examples of the variations:

HN 44 hst Variations-LG.jpg

From Left to Right.
1. Large letters, 9M?M, Small Arrow (tail significantly longer than diagonal lines)
2. Small letters, 9M.M.,
3. Large letters, 9MM
4. 9MM without top & bottom bars on IIZ
5. 9MM small 9, small letters-small arrow
6. 9MM (staggered Ms), Small arrow

And it goes on and on!!!

It is clear that this box contained the production from 25+ different headstamp bunters. I can't understand how that could happen unless it was intentional.

Hope some of you have ideas.

Cheers,
Lew

Lewis,

Unfortunately my knowledge of the Hirwaun operation is zero, so the following is pretty much a guess.
I doubt that the headstamp type was a means of identifying which production team made that ammo, and would be almost certain there would not have been bunter changes just to identify a shift.
With the volume of ammo required during the war, I'm thinking the bunters were often made by outside contractors and as long as the correct info was on them, they would be accepted for use.
Bunters, even without the breakages, have a limited useful life, so if the volumes were big enough, a lot of bunters would be needed.
I don't know what happened with small amounts of a lot which were not sufficient to fill a packet. Were they used in the next run, or put aside??
Given the date of 1944, it is possible they just wanted to pack the odds and ends, and in this case ended up with your packet.

Remember this is all supposition.

John