What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ww2 r.o.f. Leeds arp bells

Christopher

Hi all - I have just found the site (its amazing so thanks for letting me join)
I am just getting interested in the Royal Ordnance Factories during WW2 and have come across this item which is a bit puzzling. It is a bell marked round the rim ARP R.O.F. LEEDS 1941. It seems to have been painted red at some time.
Does anyone know if this factory made bells for ARPS in general? or could it have been made and used specifically by themselves?
Hope somone out there can help?
Many thanks
Chris

Attachments

• gfff.jpg
    gfff.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 26
  • dddd.jpg
    dddd.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 27
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 22
Hi Chris,Welcome to the forum,I am sure someone on the site will be able to answer your query,
Cheers,
Don,

I would have thought the bell would have been used by the factories own ARP, some factories had their own Home Guard units, so no reason why not ARP too. It's not my field, but that's my thoughts. I have seen similar bells with ARP markings before. They may not have made the bell in the ROF, but possibly could have done. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'm guessing they would have had their own ARP staff, to help protect the workforce and thus maintain production. I saw a `morale booster' type film a few moths ago that was made in 1942 I think. The back story was the factory that engineered small metal parts for aircraft and the factory had its own ARP unit. The film appeared to have been shot in a proper engineering works, probably using actual employees in the background.