What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 2cm HK Projectile With Two FES Bands

oldshotandshell

Any information on this German 2cm HK projectile would be appreciated. Projectile weight is 90g and length is 61mm. The two bands are FES, both 5mm wide, the lower band is 13mm above the base, the upper band is 30mm from the base. The projectile has a tracer element. Condition is such that no stamped markings are visible. Is it for Flak, MG151 or both? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you!

P1040193.JPG

P1040195.JPG

Nice find oldshotandshell..... I think it's the rarest of the three 2cm Pzgr40's and I believe simply suffixed "Lang" eg 2cm Pzgr40 Lang

i have a picture of all three attached below, and individual pictures of all three.
Having said that I'm slightly sceptical there aren't a few more variants, but perhaps experimental. No doubt someone here will know more

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Hasag-2 cm(flak 38) Pzgr. 40 mit Fes Zentrierring , length 62 mm, weight 92 g, core 12x41,8. Versuch (experimental}

Last edited:
Hi blackwatch,
That's interesting it's lighter than the shorter version, the middle one in my picture. Which is about 102g ...that suggests a smaller tungsten core, but still not steel. However I don't believe it's experimental as there are too many (which still isn't a lot) in photographs

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
The middle one in your picture is made by Polte.
Polte-2cm Pzgr. 40 n.A

Source. Book Die patrone 20x138B ihre Verwendung in der 2 cm Flak 30 und 2 cm flak 38 sowie in weiteren Waffen band 1 by J B H Anderhub

Blackwatch do you have the correct nomenclature for all three rounds in my first picture..... Do you also have drawings of each by any chance ?

I have drawings for some of the 2cm Pzgr:

2cm Pzgr. 40
2cm Pzgr. 40 n.A.
2cm Pzgr. 40 Üb.n.A.

Attachments

• 2 cm pzgr 40.jpg
    2 cm pzgr 40.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 2 cm pzgr 40 nA.jpg
    2 cm pzgr 40 nA.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 2 cm pzgr 40 Üb nA.jpg
    2 cm pzgr 40 Üb nA.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 31
Excellent, thank you Orpheus72
so with the practice Üb projectile

2cm Pzgr. 40
2cm Pzgr. 40 n.A.
2cm Pzgr. 40 Üb.n.A.
2cm Pzgr. 40 mit Fes Zentrierring

Last edited:
Oldshotandsheel, it seems you found yours about a week before I found mine....
so I can finally take a group photo of the three projectiles together to improve upon the old black and white image.
(All are inert cases and tracers etc - as per post 2 in this thread)

If anyone has the 2cm Pzgr. 40 Üb.n.A. id be very much interested
German Pzgr40 Three types-1024.jpg

Rich

Hi Blackwatcgh/Pysall

By chance I came across the following table showing no less than 10 different type of Hasag 2cm Pzgr40 mit Fes Zentrierring of varying lengths and weights.
As I suspected (frankly a guess) there are too many of the longer 2cm Pzgr40s to be experimental. The one in my photo and I suspect most other photos is 78mm tall which is the only one marked "Released to Mass Production" / "Freigabe zur massenfertigung" under the eingeführt data. I also had opportunity to measure a second, and this too was ~78mm.

So at this time, I believe there were four NON-experimental versions, 3 Combat and 1 Practice -- happy to be corrected if anyone has other information

2cm Pzgr. 40
2cm Pzgr. 40 n.A.
2cm Pzgr. 40 Üb.n.A.
2cm Pzgr. 40 mit Fes Zentrierring

2cm Pzgr40 mit Fes Zentrierring table.jpg