What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fuse/det cord cutter

kiwieod

I got this and was told that is a fuse/det cord cutter.its made from brass/bronze(non sparking) which makes sense.its also fairly sharp.also stamped A (broadarrow)D which I have not seen before,could that be ammunition depot?
could have been used to cut other explosives/powder as well?

Attachments

• P1020905.JPG
    P1020905.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 106
  • P1020906.JPG
    P1020906.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 98
  • P1020907.JPG
    P1020907.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 96
I got this and was told that is a fuse/det cord cutter.its made from brass/bronze(non sparking) which makes sense.its also fairly sharp.also stamped A (broadarrow)D which I have not seen before,could that be ammunition depot?
could have been used to cut other explosives/powder as well?

That's not something you see every day - the tool or the markings. As you probably already know an arrow with a D denotes Australia (WW2), a D either side of an arrow denotes Australia (pre WW2). I see you're based in NZ which could explain an Australian piece in your back yard, but whether the 'A' denotes Australia or not I couldn't say. As a suggestion, could it have been used temporarily (in error or otherwise) in the transition between 'D/|\D' and '/|\D' around the beginning of WW2 ? Worth a thought, perhaps. Great tool though, an excellent example of how these items were essential in the preparation and usage of "things that go bang".
Another example off the top of my head is a WW1 spokeshave I recently sold - it would have been very useful for repairing wooden artillery gun spokes in the field. Without functioning wheels, an 18lbr is just a dangerous paperweight. I might post a few pictures of it if anyone's interested ?

Some non sparking tools are made from Beryllium Copper. Beryllium dust is very hazardous.

For this reason is is extremely inadvisable to clean and polish or grind non sparking tools. In particular those marked Telcon or Berylco.

Beryllium Copper in a lump is a safe material. It is fine particles that are a problem.