What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30x173 unknown projecctile

Haenosaki

Hi all,
I recently acquired a 30x173 APDS round, which is not known to me (see picture). I have seen it referenced on this forum as a Honeywell proof and test round (on a 30mm Rarden case), but that seemed to be in question. The previous owner referred to it as a "Lab round". Does anybody have an idea as to what this round is. Would a proof round be a functional apds round? I thought that proof rounds where just very heavy, mostly flat rounds?
It is a very nice round btw, very heavy and nicely made.
APDS.jpg

Hello,
An update due to a post in this "wanted" thread: 30mm Rarden APDS core
The Requested Rarden core in that thread is exactly the same as the core in my projectile. Without the ballistic cap, it matches, down to the two notches on the bottom.
Does anyone know who the manufacturer of the Rarden APDS rounds is? Maybe that helps me shed more light on this.
Thanks,

Hi All,
I found a company that produces a copy of this round. It is called "30RARDN 30mm APDS Surrogate Tungsten Simulator w/Rarden Sabot (Flight Package)". Link: http://www.newlenoxordnance.com/projectiles.html
They told me that they had bought the same projectile I have and that it was a Honeywell produced projectile. So the Honeywell link seems to be right. I have sent an email to ATK Global (the successor of Honeywell defense) last year, asking if they had any information, but received no reply.
So still not anything definate yet.