What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 290mm Petard Mortar Rounds for Churchill AVRE

M8owner

I just ran across this photo on the web. How common are these projectiles in the UK?

Attachments

• 290mm_Petard_with_ammunition.jpg
    290mm_Petard_with_ammunition.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 114
The was a complete one for sale at Military Odyssey in the last week of August, but that the first ive seen for sale in 5yrs. I think it was £950.... Ive seen one other for sale in last 10yrs any that was a mismatch of tail and charge.....Not often, in my experience, but they are out there.

Here my old one, not quite as nice as Harry's
(Also notice his is the upward facing variant)

Attachments

• British 290mmm Petard Motar 40lb Flying Dustbin-2-1024.jpg
    British 290mmm Petard Motar 40lb Flying Dustbin-2-1024.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 73
Since Armoured Archives on YouTube has taken the time to produce a video specifically to correct the error regarding the Churchill AVRE 290mm (29mm) spigot mortar. I thought Id post this video under this thread to help correct the error as requested.

--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wne2AUKseuA

I have to say, despite having owned a 40lb demo charge, I never actually measured it, as it certainly looked close to 290mm! so I'm also part of the problem. Worse still, I have known the error for a while (honest), but too lazy to correct, so hence this post to redeem myself.

Hats off to Antoon however, who correctly highlighted this in another thread.

Rich

Last edited: