What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colour markings of German bombs in WW2

Grzesio

I tried to take a closer look at colour markings of German bombs recently, and the topic appeared to be more complex than I initially thought...

Generally, according to official manuals I know, before July 1942 German HE and AP bombs for normal climate were to be painted dark gray RAL 7021 (although RAL 7016 was mentioned one time), while aluminium and shortly later pale blue (what shade?) for tropical climate.
Since July 1942 all these bombs were to be painted beige-gray RAL 7027.
But what were colours of other types of bombs in these periods?

According to what I managed to find in manuals and books (save for OP-1666 as I don't trust it too much as far as colours are concerned), it was like this:

SB, SC, SD, PC, PD - RAL 7021 before July 1942, then RAL 7027
S Be - green all the time
Brand - RAL 7021 before July 1942, then RAL 7027...?
NC - feldgrau (NC 250) before July 1942, then RAL 7027 (NC 50) or feldgrau (NC 250)?
ZC - RAL 7027 from July 1942, but what earlier?
Flam - ?
Streubrand - ?
BL - yellow-brown before 1942, then RAL 7027
AB - RAL 7027 from July 1942, but what earlier?

Is this correct - and what are the missing colours?

Another question is colour marking for HE and AP bombs.

I guess it was like this (as illustrated below):
- at least HE bombs had no colour markings in 1939 (what about AP?).
- at some point later (1940? 1941?) a marking of bomb type was introduced in form of a tail cone fully painted with an appropriate colour - yellow for SB and SC, red for SD, yellow with a blue stripe for SD 1700 and blue for PC and PD. I believe this way of marking was rather short lived as photos of such bombs are relatively rare.
- the colour marking was reduced to longitudinal stripes on tail cones not later than spring 1941 (?). SB bombs were marked with two yellow stripes now (while apparently with only one stripe initially). This system remained in use till 1945.

L.Dv. 8/g 4 manual of June 1942 includes a table presenting colour markings of bombs, where colourful tail cones are drawn, while these markings are described as stripes only in the accompanying text. As the manual cancels the March 1941 edition (with two Deckblaettern), I suspect the table is simply reprinted in the 1942 edition from an earlier edition with no alterations.
On the other hand, SC 50 and SC 250 bombs with stripe markings are illustrated in the April 1941 edition of the L.Dv. 8/1 manual (while SC 1000 has no colour markings).

Thank you for any clarifications

Grzesio

Attachments

• Colours_Tails_600PS.jpg
    Colours_Tails_600PS.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Hi
I found other information.
Staying on the subject of paint markings, what is the paint code rockets
Yellow for example ??
Colors SC_250_VER3_584PS.jpg

The picture below is a scan from the color chart in the book Wehrmacht Heer Camouflage Colors 1934-1945 by Tomas Chory. I am not sure if the Luftwaffe used the same colors as the Heer did, but this is the only Yellow shown.

Wehrmacht Colors - Gelb.jpg

By the way, with regards to all colors used on German bombs, what type of finish did the paints have, glossy, semi-gloss, or flat?

Staying on the subject of paint markings, what is the paint code rockets
Yellow for example ??
Yellow was RAL 1006 - and this colour actually IS confirmed by D.(Luft) 4300 series manuals.
Other colours - I know them from postwar books, though - are red RAL 3000 or dark grey RAL 7021 (but I've also seen it identified as 7016).
I have no idea about designations of pale blue colour for tropical bombs, green for SBe bombs, feldgrau for incendiaries or blue used for AP bombs markings.

RAL 7027 does not exist ...
But it did exist in 1940s beyond all doubt. ;)

after research, the RAL 7027 becomes 7009 in March 1942.
The problem is, the RAL colour system was revised in 1953. Some colours were deleted then, others were apparently changed. I also doubt the 7027 became the 7009 just like that, as the latter is gray-green in its current shade in the RAL K7 chart, not the grey-beige. :O
The other problem is, the RAL 7027 as the basic colour used for painting bombs is still identified by German manuals as late as December 1942. ;)

what type of finish did the paints have, glossy, semi-gloss, or flat?
Judging from photographs, I'd say semi-gloss to flat.

Last edited:
Here is an example of the original paint color for an SC-50 bomb. Since this example came out of one of the eastern European countries, I'd say that it is a 1942 or later example.

IMG_4965.jpgIMG_4966.jpg

Last edited:
Great specimen! :)
Actually it should be an SD bomb (red stripes) made from July 1942 (beige colour).
SC bombs were marked with single yellow stripes.