What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Law and AT4 tubes

Nismosonic

I know this has been brought up here before, but it doesn't seem that any clear cut answer has (or can maybe?) be given.
"Are fired law and AT4 tubes legal by definition of law?"
On one hand law states anything that can discharge a projectile/rocket isn't legal, and on other states tube is as a used cartridge as the complete assembly is a one use item and thrown away once fired. Very grey area indeed.

I think that this issue has raised its head on BOCN previously.
I have reviewed the current version of the Home Office Guide to the Police on Firearms Law and conclude that it is silent on the matter of dealing with "single use" launch tubes.
One other publication "The British Firearms Law Handbook" 7th Edition ISBN 9780414044982 is almost as vague but the authors do make a note that Sect 5(1A)(c) of the Firearms Act in their opinion should not cover "single use" launch tubes.
From my own experience the British military recover and re-work a number of "single use" tubes from current operational systems with the intention of creating "inert" and "drill" tubes.
It should be noted that any tube that contained a spotting rifle element in its operational role will, in accordance with current MOD Ammunition & Explosives Regulations have the rifle rendered beyond use as part of the conversion process to "inert" or "drill". Caution must be excercised as I can confirm from very recent first hand dealings that the MOD take on "rendering a firearm beyond use" does not involve a proof house stamp of deactivation or any form of certification other than the tube being FFE.

I guess that the bottom line, as in many circumstances is that it will be for a court to decide whether a fired single use launch tube is outwith any legislative control.