What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown US manufactured for Russia

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
I have a fuze that the information from the museum states it was made by a US company for Russia in WWI. Any idea what nomenclature the Russians call it?

It goes from 10 - 150 by sets of 10. It also looks like it has a 0 or 5 mark before the 10, but it is hard to see.

DIA: 62-MM
Length: 65-MM
Exposed Length: 49-MM

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-JV-46-2.JPG
    ICE-JV-46-2.JPG
    265.3 KB · Views: 141
  • ICE-JV-46-10.jpg
    ICE-JV-46-10.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 131
Here is a partial image of the markings before the 10 ...

Joe

Attachments

• marking.jpg
    marking.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 114
Another question ... as per the other Russian Time Fuzes, I am assuming that the 150 is a measurement, and that this is going to be a 22-Second fuze? The museum document states that it is 150 versts, which is an old Russian form of measure.

Joe

Last edited:
...and another one with graduations/numbers til 130...

Attachments

• 22sec. T&P, 2, US,.jpg
    22sec. T&P, 2, US,.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 64
Bethlehem Steel Company made it from what I can see in the first pic. Don't know the nomenclature, but the one I have is like Mrfuze's two metal construction, and mine is also mad by BSCo. Cheers, Bruce.

There it is. I have been seeking that fuse for years. I have a US made 3 inch shrapnel shell that was definitely made for the Russians in WWI that has a UK No. 80 fuse currently screwed into it. I have never seen the Russian designation for it. Even the standard Russian 22 second time fuse does not have an official name - all manuals just call it the 22 second fuse. The 22 second fuse has 140 graduations on it. The time fuses shown here and the 22 second fuse have completely different types of threads.

Although at first sight it would appear to have been made by the Bethlehem Steel Company, it was actually made by Scoville Manufacturing Co., USA (small 'S' in a square) who were sub-contracted by BSC.

TimG

Although at first sight it would appear to have been made by the Bethlehem Steel Company, it was actually made by Scoville Manufacturing Co., USA (small 'S' in a square) who were sub-contracted by BSC.

TimG

Didn't know the Scoville aspect to it. Thanks, Bruce.

20200411_101419.jpg20200411_101300.jpg20200411_101250.jpg20200411_101214.jpg20200411_101202.jpgI have this #85 as you can see on the pics, graduated to 150, anyone got a pic of the russian shell with the #85 on it

Here is an original blueprint that i have for that fuze (just not a BSC company). According to it they call it the 21 second combination fuze for the 3 inch shrapnel shell. I however, while it matches up visually to the fuze discussed here, no mention of the russian designation. Also, note the fact that they seem to deliberately left the number graduation marks out of the images. Hope this helps you guys somehow. The only relevant pic of the back ive enclosed is showing their filing marks for their document archive, when the company was still in existence (also someone who checked it out at one time). The rest of the back of the document is empty. Im saving to get it professionally framed eventually. fuze blueprint.jpgblueprint back.jpg

Last edited:
I may have completely overlooked it! Let me double check!
Update: You are right! Looks like it is tracing the outline of the cover that goes over the fuze before its removed for use! I completely missed it! Thanks Alpini! I can get better photos uploaded here soon if anyone wants to read everything like I have. Its difficult to see from far out.

Last edited:
Here is my Russian shrapnel that is threaded for the British fuses.

Attachments

• US Made Russian 76mm Shrapnel.jpg
    US Made Russian 76mm Shrapnel.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 18
  • US Made Russian 76mm Shrapnel base.jpg
    US Made Russian 76mm Shrapnel base.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 20
  • US Made Russian Shrapnel for M80 British Fuse2.jpg
    US Made Russian Shrapnel for M80 British Fuse2.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 24
  • US Made 3 inch Shrapnel for British Fuse.jpg
    US Made 3 inch Shrapnel for British Fuse.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 27
On a interesting note related to that, I saw a long time ago a crate for 76mm shrapnel shells that was made in the uk to hold them in transit to Russia. Now I know what the british made projectiles look like! Thanks m8owner!

Bump this thread.
Found this today.
Same fuze (graduated 150) used by Finnish.
Very strange, this US fuze with cyriilic markings is described in the Finnish documentation as British !

150 p162.jpg

And other :
Grad 145
145 p161.jpg

Grad 130
130 P140.jpg

Last edited: