What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early projo ID question

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
As shown in the Bombatorium thread, I picked up this early studded projo last weekend. It is believed to be a US Civil War piece, but I have not been able to reference it. I have a number of C. War ordnance references, but it does not appear in any of them.

What I have reviewed seems to indicate that a number of studded designs were used by the Confederacy, most either copies of British designs or supplied by the British. This seems most like an Armstrong design, but does not match any I have viewed.

The projectile is 8.2" inches in diameter and weighs 165lbs. Two rows of six studs, three lifting holes in the nose with a threaded nose fuze well, no fuze present. I don't have the length with me (at work). No markings observed.

Looking for an ID and a reference page, any help is appreciated.

IMG_1128.jpg

If it is spanish, the short 21 cm shell for the "obús de hierro rayado de 21 cm (O.H.R. de 21 cm)" = iron rifled howitzer would fit best. But I don't see the lifting holes in the diagram. Best compare yourself if it has some matches. Length and fuze hole are best indicators I think.

That one from treasurenet.com could be the long shell for the same Howitzer. The fuze threads of both short and long shell were separate parts. The shell body was cast around these threaded parts. I think this part is visible on the shell at treasurenet.co.

Attachments

• OHR21short.jpg
    OHR21short.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
It looks close, but the length is off. the lifting holes look correct, and the fuze well, but I am around 490mm in length instead of the 472mm. The height of the studs do not match either.

DSC_1486.jpgIMG_1140.jpgIMG_1141.jpg

Im sorry if this isnt very helpful information, but when i was at a militaria show recently, there was a grouping of photos for sale from a spanish ammunition depo in cuba that was filled with projectiles that look identical to your one in the photo. The photographs were original copies from the period. Sorry i cant be of more help.

Any info on the owner of the photos?