What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm hell

sksvlad

A friend brought these, I don't really collect above 20mm. What are these? I don't even know if they belong to each other. Thanks.
DSCF1714.jpgDSCF1715.jpgDSCF1716.jpgDSCF1717.jpgDSCF1718.jpg

Yes, 40mm grenade parts as Highlandotter said. Some go together, some not. The piece on the left is the case and skirt of an M406 HE but the disc in the top isn't right. The gold ogive on the right would fit on top to cover the fuze.

The cartridge cases are interesting as they are fairly early production for 40mm low velocity rounds.

Most interesting it the long shiny one in the middle. At first glance it looks like the body of the M397 bounding HE but something looks a bit off too.

If you plan to part with these, I'd be very interested. Thanks

The M79 grenade launcher was officially adopted by the U.S. Army in December, 1960. So the one cartridge cases shown above predates that and the other is just after adoption by the Army.