What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No.36 with booby trap device?

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
Last evening I was shown a No.36 grenade which had been found on an old grenade range (it had no base plug and was empty) but instead of the usual filling plug it had a 3/4 inch brass fitting, probably the same diameter as a normal filling plug and with a hole down the centre - almost as if it were a friction igntier of some sort. Due to corrosion, the brass thing would not unscrew. sorry, no photo as I didn't have my camera with me at the time. Has anyone come across such a thing before and if so, what is it?

thanks, Dave

I have seen this before, but I don't know why it was like that. The one I remember seeing (I think it was in a picture on an auction site, but it was along time ago.) had a brass filler plug with the normal slot across it for screwing it in, but with a hole through the center. The hole did not look to me like it had been drilled for the purpose of inerting it. It looked like it had been manufactured that way. I sorry this isn't very much help, but at least you know that the one you saw isn't unique. I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question better than I have.

Regards, Rob

One suggestion could be a way of dealing with a blind by screwing in a igniter with detonator via the filling plug. Would the filling plug thread match a thread of one of the British igniters. These igniters are made of brass, may be a closer inspection there could be some stamping on the brass fitting? Anyone know the Mills filling plug thread size. The only way to solve this is to get some pictures.

I have seen this before, but I don't know why it was like that. The one I remember seeing (I think it was in a picture on an auction site, but it was along time ago.) had a brass filler plug with the normal slot across it for screwing it in, but with a hole through the center. The hole did not look to me like it had been drilled for the purpose of inerting it. It looked like it had been manufactured that way. I sorry this isn't very much help, but at least you know that the one you saw isn't unique. I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question better than I have.

Regards, Rob

Dave
Thanks Rob, it all helps build up a picture.

One suggestion could be a way of dealing with a blind by screwing in a igniter with detonator via the filling plug. Would the filling plug thread match a thread of one of the British igniters. These igniters are made of brass, may be a closer inspection there could be some stamping on the brass fitting? Anyone know the Mills filling plug thread size. The only way to solve this is to get some pictures.

yes, next time I see it I will have my camera ready. I couldn't see any markings but the light was not good. And it couldn't be unscrewed at the time due to corrosion. Photos when I get them

Dave