What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown shell cases, most likely related to UK depth charges

H

Hoeksel

I have had these 2 items for years in my collection, but without a clue what they are. Can anybody inform me on them?

Item 1:
I have seen several of these, all exactly the same. They exist as MkI and MkII, oldest case I have seen is 1937.
Made from 12 pounder 12 CWT type I
LOT changed in No.3 II.N --> meaning Number 3, Mark 2, for Navy use
2 sets of holes
Length 189mm

Item 2:
The person I got it from had several of these.
45 mm
Length 236 mm
2 cuts at mouth of the case
No screw in primer hole, "primer hole" it is tapered and without thread
I have no further information on this item

Attachments

• UK items 1.jpg
    UK items 1.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 99
  • UK items 2.jpg
    UK items 2.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 109
  • UK items 3.jpg
    UK items 3.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 125
The converted 12pdr 12cwt was used for aircraft catapult launching, it should have an electric primer.
No idea what the other one is!
Hope this is of some help.
Regards Ozzi.

The cartridge reminds me of a Cartridge, Flash, Photographic 1 3/4 inch except it is couple of inches too short, the wrong material, early, and generally a visually bad match! But if anyone has an early manual covering the 1 3/4 photoflashes I would be interested to hear if there is anything close shown.

Hi Ozzi, thanks for the information. How would that work, why is the case Navy stamped and are those used WW2?

Seemingly the Cartridge, Impulse for torpedoes was also based on a 12 pr 12 cwt case. There are quite a few Lists of Changes entries in the late 1930s on the Cartridge, Catapult and the Cartridge, Impulse but nothing, as yet, on the Cartridge, Flash, Photographic.

The catapults were used on Navy ships for launching aircraft, as it was not an aircraft carrier, it had to be launched as fast as possible from a rail mounted somewhere on the ship, this had to be done fast so the plane could get enough speed to fly. These cartridges were navy stores, I have seen a 6" coast defence cart converted & stamped for catapult use as mentioned in a previous thread.
Yes there were used in WWII.
Regards Ozzi.

Could the still not identified item be a part of a 1.7 inch Aircraft Illuminator?