What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R.L 112lb Bomb

dodgydave

R.L 100lb Bomb

I have acquired an Royal Laboratories 100lb bomb and I would like to get some dimensions so I can manufacture some fins; can anyone help?

Last edited:
Some photos; One showing the 4 rivets for the fins.

Attachments

• DSCF7106_zps0io8vhie.jpg
    DSCF7106_zps0io8vhie.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF7107_zpsnugrqwgy.jpg
    DSCF7107_zpsnugrqwgy.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF7109_zpsmgvk1kp3.jpg
    DSCF7109_zpsmgvk1kp3.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited by a moderator:
There were various developments of the RL 112lb HE - here are the main steps, including dimensions (look at the name of each of these pictures for an exact identification of the Mark represented)
112lb RL MkVIII.jpg112lb HE RL MkVIIC section.jpg112lb MkV, VI, VII data.jpg112lb MkV, VI, VII.jpg112lb MkV.jpg112lb MkVI.jpg112lb MkVII.jpg112lb MkVIII.jpgView attachment 126565112lb RL MkV Plan.jpg112lb RL MkVIII Plan.jpg

If my memory serves me right there was one of these outside the library at DEODS lodge hill camp.... 8 wonder if that went to the scrap man

Thanks for these Dreamk. Still uncertain whether it's a 100 or 112lb. I thought only the 100 had rivet-on fins. I'll do some measurements, but these pictures should do nicely. Again, many thanks.

Millsbomber,

It is now in front of the new EODTIC Building in Bicester

Reards,

Chris

Hi RichardB, that's one nice example you have there! Mine has a different fixing method for the fins, so possibly is a 100lb, not a 112lb? I'll get back to you! Cheers.

Hi Dave I have also acquired a very similar British ww1 bomb as yours which also has four holes for the tail fins did you ever restore the bomb this is a great thread and I've found the info dreamk posted very helpful but I find the measurements don't seem to match ours seem to be mk v 112lb but the fin measurements of 11" just won't work the tail fuse adapter would be on the ground when stood up I notice that the pics from the manual are ww2 dated maybe our ones are an earlier mk of the 112 lb could they be bigger? also the body on mine is longer than the stated size ,I know this is an older thread but hope it still has some interest

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5.5 using Tapatalk

There were no less than 8 different Marks for this bomb, with different fins assemblies and body construction.
Here are the data and drawings for the original 112lb MkIII and MkV form WW1 time
112lb MkIII MkV Data.jpg112lb MkIII drawing.jpg112lb MkV drawing.jpg

Here are the data and drawing for the 112lb MkV, MkVI and MkVII, from the Interwar period and early WW2.
112lb MkV, VI, VII data.jpg112lb MkV, VI, VII.jpg
The MkV:
112lb MkV.jpg
The MkVI:
112lb MkVI.jpg
The MkVII:
112lb MkVII.jpg
The MkVIII:
112lb MkVIII.jpg

Last edited:
Hi dreamk thanks for fast response I am in the process of restoring one the body is steel like the mk v and it is about the same shape but as I said before the sizes don't seem right to me if I made the fins 11" they would be far to small as 11" is the size of just the row of holes without it leaving the body it maybe that I have an earlier mk , IV or earlier it came with a no 1 nose pistol dated 12/16 so that maybe the answer I unfortunately can not weigh it at the moment as I'm sure that will help with I'd did we do a 150 lb as it seem heavier than the 80 lb it should be and it is definitely empty thanks for your help

I'm thinking mk iii as it has the filler hole in the side once I have finished with the restoration I will post pics on the forum thanks for the help

Er, no, haven't started the restoration yet..... Looking at the pictures, the nose of mine and filling hole seems to be the same as the Mk111. I have drawn up some patterns for the fins; must get it done!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hi dave I believe I have the same mark as yours a mk iii the body on mine is a bit distorted so I was having trouble with the measurements given ,dreamk has helped with the excellent pics covering nearly all the mk of this bomb ,I am getting close to finishing my example and am not sure to post it in restoration or bombs ?they look brilliant once they have fins ,I hope u get the time to finish your example thanks

Well, I've finally started to start(!) sorting my 112lb bomb out.........problem No1; the dimensions of my bomb do not tally with those in the pictures kindly supplied by Dreamk..... width is not 9" but 12" and it's nigh on 32" long, not 29ish. It is identical in form to a Mk111 otherwise? I guess the fins are probably the same size though?

If the body is 12 inches (should be 12.5") in diameter you most likely have a 250lb Mk I or II. Nose to tail would be either 36" for the Mk I or 35" or the Mk II as the fins are different. I'll see if I can get a picture uploaded.

20190613_151412_resized.jpg20190613_151440_resized.jpg

Looking at the pictures and the nose of the one you, have I think it's a Mk I. Sorry the pictures aren't better but I can't get the manual apart to scan it at the moment.

Here are drawings of the 250lb......there the dimensions would fit approximately.

Attachments

• Zuschneiden_24.jpg
    Zuschneiden_24.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Zuschneiden_25.jpg
    Zuschneiden_25.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Zuschneiden_26.jpg
    Zuschneiden_26.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 32