What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R.L 112lb Bomb

Well done Burney Davis and rigby, thanks for the pictures, the 250lb Mk1 certainly fits the bill! 36" overall would be about right, inc the fins. The fuze pockets/stubs each end are brass, as is the filler plug; there is some stuff stamped into them, but it'll need a bit more of a clean before I can see exactly what! I've actually started on the fins, with a few bits of hardboard as templates.

Just bought this original photo from $bay. British Bombs tested at Aberdeen Proving Ground, USA. Are the bombs correctly labelled?

Attachments

• Original-WWI-Photo-BRITISH-AERIAL-BOMBS-TESTED-1918.jpg
    Original-WWI-Photo-BRITISH-AERIAL-BOMBS-TESTED-1918.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 78
First fitting of the new fins today; it's very heavy! When I've made and fitted the fin supports, I'll do a photo.

Got the fins on with support brackets. I'll probably radius the upper part of the fins a bit more; I left the ends of the fins fairly square to make it more stable when displayed. The bomb still has the detonator tube thro' the middle, although it's quite rusted and detached from the nose end. What does anyone think the hole was for? Maybe a cutaway? Perhaps it had a clock in it....now there's an idea! I might keep the brackets bolted to the fins for ease of transportation as it's pretty heavy. What should the suspension lug look like? Any ideas/suggestions chaps? Next will be making a Fuze/impeller and shot blasting/filling/priming.

Last edited:
Well, got some paint on it at last; still not decided what to do with the 4" hole; just got to paint some red and green bands with a bit of writing and simply make a little propeller for the top.

Attachments

• DSCF9403.jpg
    DSCF9403.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 17