What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills Throwing Practice Grenade

Millsman

Premium Member
A couple of months ago forum pal DodgyDave mailed me to say he had picked up a Mills and would I be interested?

Yesterday we met up at Chatham and he showed my his find. A Throwing practice Mills 36 (or 23 / III) with wooden plugs, filled with sand and an interesting red / yellow paint scheme.

A very reasonable amount of dosh changed hands and I was the new owner. So many thanks Dave for thinking of me. When I got home I noticed the makers mark was offset. I then realised it was a maker I had no record of. It's marked M'DS.

Here's some photos of this interesting addition to my collection of throwing practice Mills.

I've also been asked to identify a Mills 36 / 23 Mk III marked F MS. The F is sideways and above the MS. Any ideas? I think the F might be a cast mark and MS the maker.

John

lDSCN4321.JPGDSCN4323.JPGDSCN4324.JPGDSCN4328.JPG

Very nice unusual mills, I have only 1 with wood chips inside.
Mc DS is as close I come to that makers mark ......Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Tom

It turns out I do have a record for them in fact 2 records McDS 5 and M.D.S & Co. So I can add M'DS to the set!

Is the other one MS another variant?

John

Another throwing practice Mills.

I got this at Detling Military Odyssey and it is a beautiful piece of casting.

It's like an unfinished Transverse (Centre ) Cast grenade but the shoulders are spectacular. It looks like a piece of sculpture.

Photo below.

John

Early TP.jpg

Last edited: