What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

London: Bombed, Blitzed and Blown Up by Ian Jones

Bonnex

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Its out at last, 'The' book by Ian Jones on the bombing of London. The author is a brilliant writer and researcher as exemplified by his classic book on the history of booby traps (Malice Aforethought published by Pen and Sword) so I expect this to be one of those impossible to put down books.

http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/London-Bombed-Blitzed-and-Blown-Up-Hardback/p/12300

Norman thank you for your comments, and of course your tremendous help whilst I was researching the book. Tim, thank you for your help too; if I get my delivery of books in time, I will bring them to Bisley. Just out of interest I have included a few of my favourite pictures.

1. The cart designed in the 1880s with a bed of internal springs for police officers to transport IRA, Suffragette and Anarchist infernal machines to the bomb disposal facility on Duck Island in St James’s Park.

2. PC Edmund Forbes with a bomb seized after the first Zeppelin raid on the 31 May 1915. In the raid a little girl, Elsie Leggart, was burnt to death after an incendiary bomb set fire to her house. PC Forbes allegedly seized the bomb shown as evidence to prosecute the Kaiser after the war.

3. A bomb from the 1939 -1940 IRA Campaign in London.

4 A Metropolitan Police Sergeant looking absolutely exhausted after helping rescue the wounded post an air-raid in the Blitz.

5. Officers examining the scene of an explosion at the top of the Post Office Tower in 1971. A close-up picture shows them all wandering round in suits; I love the lack of health and safety in those days. The bomb was never finally attributed to any terrorist organisation.

6. For interest, I have included a poor quality still from a short clip of film showing the use of the Steam Sterilizer in Regents Street during the Blitz. The bomb exploded not long after the film was taken, the Steriliser being destroyed in the process. Importantly there were no RE casualties.

Finally, a few stats as the end of 1997 was just short of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the first PIRA bombs in London. A look at the statistics, covering all terrorist and criminal incidents in London, showed that over the period there had been 606 bombings, thirty-six shootings and seventeen kidnaps. These had resulted in the death of eighty-eight people, with a further 1,415, injured. Over 27,500 pounds of explosive was recovered along with 809 detonator

s.
PRO 28 Oct 06 068.jpgPCPLUS BOMB3.jpgParcel Bomb !RA 1939.jpgPolice pics 025.jpgPost Office tower 1 1971.jpgIan's_0003.jpg

I can vouch for Malice Aforethought. Excellent book, great content and very well written.

Regarding #5 in Ian's post #4. The flying was illegal too.

John

Am about half way through the book and yes very well researched and detailed with interesting information, not just a list of events, human interest and technical stuff as well. As to bombing the transport system by terrorists, not a modern phenomena, it was done in 1883! A real eye opener as to what went on and when. Makes me want to go to London to see where incidents took place and the evidence remains in some locations.

Thanks John and Clive for your kind words. I am currently doing a bit of research on all aspects of ‘Demolition’. As in ‘Malice Aforethought’ the emphasis will be on operations rather than a detailed description of all the charges. The failure of the Germans to destroy the Ludendorf Bridge at Remagen being a good example of how critical demolitions can be during a withdrawal. That said if any one has any information on any demolition charges and/or their operational use I would most appreciate it.

I am currently in India where the internet is a bit ‘iffy’, so if anyone tries to contact me and I don’t reply please be patient I will after my return in mid December.

Thanks

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: