What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need help replacing these missing Bomb Disposal cups...

WWIIBuff

Hello Gents,

Two sets of my Bomb Disposal equipment are each missing a piece that I am trying to replace. One is a white enamel measuring cup, and I believe the other is a brass measuring cup. I have attached pictures below showing the two items circled in red.

If someone knows where I could find an original replacement for either of these, please let me know. In the meantime, does anyone have one or both of these in your collection? If so, could you please help me out by posting pictures of them from several angles, and also tell me height and diameter measurements?

Even if it take me years, I might get lucky and find them on Ebay or somewhere else, but without the pictures and measurements, I don't really know exactly what I am looking for at this point.

Thank you in advance if anyone is able to assist me. :tinysmile_shy_t:

John

Measurements and pic needed (1).jpgMeasurements and pic needed (2).jpg

Reading the use instruction in the white enamel mug photo gives some idea of what you should look for.

The enamel beaker has three marks inside. The lower mark indicates 5oz sugar, the second mark 7oz sugar, amd there is a 1 pint fill mark.

A bit of measuring in my kitchen with a modern enamel camping mug measuring approx 3 1/2" diameter suggests that the pint mark would be at around 3 3/8" from the bottom, 7 oz sugar mark at around 1 3/8" and 5 oz sugar mark at around 1 1/8".
I would be interested to know if an original beaker is close to these rough measurements.

You might find an original enamel beaker turns up in a scientific or kitchenalia sale.

As a stop-gap you could use something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-W...687756?hash=item1c72a7dc0c:g:dPYAAOSwPCVX3URW

Last edited:
Thanks reccetrooper for the information on the markings inside the cup. I have also thought about a cup like the one you gave me the link to as a space filler for now, but I don't mind waiting to keep it original. Besides, half the fun of collecting is the "hunt". Also I don't think that the one in the BD box has a handle on it, although without pictures of an original, I cannot tell if it did have a handle that just broke off, or it never had a handle.

The brass cup I am not really even sure is a cup, I'm just guessing that it is.