What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Artillery Projectile - 8 inch

U

US Military Guy

I have an M-106 8 inch artillery projectile needing restoration. It is in pretty rough condition, but I did find the 1945 date. I have repainted it in the base color and am ready to stencil. I have researched the "net" and found at least three different photos of the M-106.

Anyone know which is correct for 1945?

The first photo shows (printed at the top of the projectile)

8 H
TNT
LOT XXXXXX
SHELL M106

The next photo shows (also printed at the top of the projectile)

8 IN H
HE M106
TNT
W/SUPP CHG

The last photo shows (printed just above the rotating band)

8H
TNT
LOT XXXXXXX
PROJ M106
W/SUPP CHG

I do understand what all of that means. I am just not sure which is appropriate for a projectile of 1945 vintage. Of course, the Lot Number is just a bunch of numbers for my purposes because I would have no idea of the potentially "correct" number. I will probably use my birth date or something like that.
icon_biggrin.gif

TM9-1901 dated 1944 shows the first example on your list. That is the one I would use for a 1945 projo. In addition, if your projectile has center punch marks a couple of inches down from the fuzewell, you should put a 1/2 inch X 1/2 inch yellow square on each punch mark for the weight zone, up to 6 max. All of your lettering should be centered on and directly below the punch marks.

The proximity fuze was only being issued near the end of the war, and the use of supplementary charges hadn't been adopted in the marking plans yet. None of the projo drawings in the manual show a Suppl Chg marking.

Suppl Chg's are discussed in the 1950 version of the manual, but not all projectiles with deep intrusion fuze wells were issued with a Suppl Chg.

Last edited:
Fantastic Information!

Thank you.

I don't come here often, but when I do, it is to learn - because THIS is THE PLACE to learn!