What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 Pounder Hotchkiss Shell

peregrinvs

Recently acquired this. Not the prettiest example, but it's better than the one I currently have and should look OK after some filling and painting.

Pre-cleaning pictures:

DSC_0258.jpgDSC_0259.jpgDSC_0260.jpg

And after a soak in dilute citric acid and a wire brush scrub:

IMG_4973.JPGIMG_4974.JPGIMG_4975.JPG

I shall probably employ my usual trick for filling in lots of shallow pitting: painting on and sanding off 2-3 thick coats of primer-undercoat.

The base on this is unusual- likely for a Semple tracer. Pity the markings are lost.

Attachments

• 6pdr-protruding base.jpg
    6pdr-protruding base.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 79
Unfortunately this one has gone on the back burner for a while due to other distractions. However, I've made some recent progress and it is not far off a final coat of paint.

Attachments

• 6pr Hotchkiss- pre-painting.JPG
    6pr Hotchkiss- pre-painting.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 46
Nearly finished. I just need to do a 'MKIV FUZE' marking on the side, but stencilling small letters is a horribly fiddly job...
IMG_5867.JPGIMG_5866.JPGIMG_5865.JPG
And for fun I've pictured it next to an 'A7V' case. :tinysmile_twink_t:

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Nice restoration indeed. Thought I'd post these images should you need an idea of stencil size, fony type, etc. Hope they help in some way.
Cheers!
DIMG_0281.jpgIMG_0282.jpgIMG_0280.jpgIMG_0279.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. That is very helpful. Would you say the font size was nearer to 1/4in or 1/2in?

Cheers,
Mark
You're welcome.
On my shell, the font height comes in at 6/16" so slap bang in between 1/4" and 1/2".
The letter thickness is 1/16" for all letters.
Length of word line 'MK 1V' measures 1 & 9/16" long.
Length of word 'FUZE' measures 1 & 11/16" long.
Again, these measurements apply to the shell I have, I'm sure there'll be variations on others you may find.
Either way, hope its usefull info.
Cheers,
Dylan

I have had this one for about 20 years so thought i should add it to the thread as another example, still not decided if i should repaint it or not. It took along time to find a base fuze for it, best Weasel.
20171019_180304.jpg20171019_180321.jpg20171019_180653.jpg20171019_180519.jpg

Looks like the fuze is dated for 1918, what date is the projectile and is it a navy example or army ?
Just wondering if it was wartime projectile for the tanks.

Hi Gordon, i think the projectile may well be earlier than the fuze, the only stampings on the body i can find are R L just above the driving band and a I above that, these can just be seen in the second picture. As regards Army or Navy type i am not sure but would welcome any input on how to tell.
Best Weasel

Last edited: