What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identifiying shell

L

lenny499

Hey Guys,

I found this ww2 shell in the garden of my parents while I was doing some gardening work. It was found on a place were the Americans fought the Germans. Usually, if I find a shell, I can identify it very quickly. But I posted this one on multiple forums and nobody could tell me which type of shell this was. It looks like a 17 pr AP, but it is slightly different. Its diameter is about 8.5-9 cm, but this could be different because the projectile hit something and therefore the diameter could also be 75 or 76 mm. The hole, which you can see, continues till in the point of projectile.

My question, does anyone recognize this shell, and does anyone know if it is a dangerous HE shell or just a solid AP? Haven't touched it further, but I would really like to know which kind of shell this is?

14798901_1211395635609332_189698777_n.jpg14812918_1211395718942657_529746928_o.jpgs3.jpgst4.jpgst5.jpg

looks like a german 8,8 cm Pz.Gr. without the cap/windshield. Most likely a Pz.Gr.39/43. Be happy that the fuze is missing, they can be very dangerous when found as a dud - no matter if fired or by unsuccessful destruction (which is the case here).

Last edited:
But, it is still live or what? Is the explosive powder still in the projectile? Or is it just harmless now?

Last edited by a moderator:
post removed, as was other post by bocn moderator

Last edited:
Apparently, the fuze was expelled from hus place. I should consider that the totality of the HE is not exploded. I think there-s parts of unexploded HE in the cavity.
You should must warn the autorities.

Yoda

kwk2.jpgBut, the part where the explosive powder is located is empty? So, the rest of the projectile is just massive iron? Or am I wrong? Because on the way I can see it, the detonater is missing and the place where the explosive powder should be is empty?