What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bombs ML 2-inch - Distinguishing Markings

Bonnex

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Mainly for BMG50 with apologies for lateness. Colour chart repeated.

AP-MI3-001C.jpgAP-MI3-002C.jpgAP-MI3-003C.jpgAP-MI3-004C.jpgAP-MI3-005C.jpgAP-MI3-006C-REPEATED.jpg

Thanks Bonnex, much appreciated. Coloured smoke, you learn something new every day.

Thanks Bonnex, much appreciated. Coloured smoke, you learn something new every day.

I have not made much of a study of mortars but researching grenade developments between the wars you find that the early trials 2-inch (and 2.5-inch) mortar bombs are actually designated Grenades until late 1937 when design drawings use the term Bomb, examples below (ignore the thunderflashes):

DD(L)6968Grenade 50mm (1.968-inch) Smoke for ECIA Mortar
DD(L)6971Grenade 50mm HE for ECIA Mortar
DD(L)7084AThunderflash
DD(L)7084BThunderflash
DD(L)7084CThunderflash
DD(L)7136Grenade Smoke 2.5-inch for BSA Grenade Thrower
DD(L)7136/1Grenade Smoke 2.5-inch for BSA Grenade Thrower empty
DD(L)7136ABomb Smoke 2.5-inch for mortar
DD(L)7136A/1Bomb Smoke 2.5-inch for mortar: empty
DD(L)7149Grenade Smoke 2-inch for Modified ECIA Grenade Thrower: filling
DD(L)7149/1Grenade Smoke 2-inch for Modified ECIA Grenade Thrower: empty
DD(L)7149A/1Bomb Smoke 2-inch for mortar : empty

It seems that the 2-inch Bomb, in addition to an HE role, was intended to take the place of the 1930s series signal grenades produced for the 2.5-inch Discharger which probably explains the variety of pyrotechnic loadings shown in the leaflet. The 1930s series of signal grenades had only just entered service and were short-lived (explaining their rarity) presumably because of the introduction of the 2-inch Mortar. The 2-inch mortar bomb body was also used by MD1 (Winston Churchill's Toyshop) as a carrier for a cluster of detonators in a Naval munition and, just to add a possible SOE connection, the Bomb, ML 2-inch, Grapnel is said to have been designed at Station XII (Aston House).

The 2" mortar distinguishing marks chart clears up a lot of mortar round questions for that immediate post war period of mortar change and war time one's as well. As for the development of a 2.5"mortar something I would never have know. Is the list of drawings click and link, would like to see them if possible.

Last edited:
.... Is the list of drawings click and link, would like to see them if possible.

I wish. It is a list that I put together some years ago and at best I got some poor prints. I may have some the prints scanned now - I will look.

For BMG50. Herewith three drawings from the MD1 stable showing 2-inch Mortar Bomb bodies with special/experimental loadings.

MD1mor-001comp.jpgMD1mor-002comp.jpgMD1mor-003COMP.jpg

The first drawing (MJ = Millis Jefferis) shows an acoustic decoy. I am not sure of the function of the second bomb but it seems to discharge 'Brads' (nails) with a flash. The third drawing shows a Jumping Mortar Bomb.

I have been through the various 2" Mortar threads and I find that there are no length measurements, which are vital for accurately identifying the carrier type bombs.
All signal bombs Single and Multi Star, with the exception of Signal Success and Parachute Illuminating, are 9" (228mm) long from the primary cartridge cap to the top of the identifying closing cap.
Signal Success and Para Illum are 9.62" (252mm) long. This is particularly relevant for separating unmarked carrier bombs. Even with the cap missing there is still about half an inch (12.7mm) to spare.
Bombs 2" Mortar HE, Smoke and Practice are also 9.62"(252mm) long.
The 2" anti trip flare types are too obvious to mention.