What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb fuze ?

Image found at British Bomb and Rocket Pistols and Fuzes by David Andrews and Alan Swan

Attachments

• Bild (49).jpg
    Bild (49).jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 81
Should these holes not be the soldering holes of the fins on the tail part of a cooper bomb ?

Yoda

Thanks guys,

I think Bonnex gave a good clue
Same device (more cylindrical) for 20lb tail.

Regards

20LB HALE.jpg

Does anyone could give more information on 10lb Hale bomb (nothing in my doc) ?

HALE.jpg

Last edited:
Here is an image of a Hales 10lb Tail Tube. It is tapered but it is a very shallow taper from 1.095 inches down to 1.005 inches. Note the hole for the safety pin as well as the threaded holes for the fins. Not an exact match then but in the right direction in that the mystery device is likely to be a tail tube that carries screwed on fins and seemingly carries a striker rod all pointing towards something similar to Hales work. Hales did produce a 100lb bomb (which may have been a Depth Charge), if I can find a drawing I will see if it sheds any light on the tube.

Hales 10lb Tail Tube.JPG

Last edited:
These images are not much help but might be of interest anyway. The Hales 100lb bomb appears to use the same tail unit as the 20lb bomb. The 70lb depth charge has tail without the bolt on fins. Apologies for the image quality.

HalesLarge-001.jpgHalesLarge-002.jpg