What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 pounder. HE, Smoke & APDS Sections

Question, I am bussy with this 20 pdr APDS cutaway model. However, the shellcase below it has a short No.17 primer with magazine. On your picture I see the cutaway has a long primer No.37 with magazine.
In the pamphlet below:

http://www.lexpev.nl/downloads/pamphletno89q.ffixedammunitionpart9qf20pr1957.pdf

one can see practice DS shots being placed on a shellcase with both the long and short primer, but the APDS has a long primer.

Question: were APDS shots fired from a shellcase with a short primer no.17, or was it to be the long primer no.37 only?

Thanks in advance,
Regards, DJH

Last edited:
On the Dutch forum I found out the primers L6A1 and L6A2 were used with the Dutch shells. Does anybody have a picture of these?

DJH,

The latest publication I have is 1961 and only covers upto the L5 primer. It confirms however, that the non-practice round only used the No. 37 primer. The only practice shot to use the No. 37 was the Mark 1, which also used large granular propellant.

TimG

So , now the big question, does anybody have a spare No.37 lying around?

In Pam 8 Part 9 Schedule of Complete Rounds it shows Primer No 37 for all APDS Rounds in your link pamphlet. I know this to be so.