What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red sealing gasket compound. 2" Mortar, mills bomb etc.

BMG50

Premium Member
Anyone know what the red sealing compound is called Found on 2"mortar,mills bombs etc. I thought it was similar to the red hermatite gasket paste that comes in tubes, it's the correct colour but doesn't seam to dry. Can it be still bought today or is it no longer made or in use.

R.D. Cement No. 1. (R.D. - Research Department)

I can't assist with it's ingredients.

TimG

Is it still available? If so where can I get some or what would be it's modern name for it.

I doubt it's still available and even if it was, not something you could obtain outside an Ordnance factory. I have a vague recollection that it contains, amongst other ingredients, ferric oxide and an exotic oil. I seem to recall the formula for this and other cements is contained within "Service Textbook of Explosives. 1954." Alas, I don't have a copy to hand. Don't bother with the latter edition - JSP 333.

TimG

Just wondering if it's similar to red stag sealing compound that plumbers use.

Tim,

RD1 superseded Pettman cement around 1926 and consisted of (parts by weight): Gum Dammar 10; Soft Bitumen 2.5; Asphalt (Syrian, hard) 2.5; Iron Oxide (red) 10; solvent Naptha 10.

A failure in supply of some ingredients (surprise, surprise) led to it becoming obsolete in 1941. It was replaced by RD Cement No.1A, then by No.1A modification (a) in 1943, and finally by No.1A modification (b). The variations incorporated changes in the gum, additions of esoteric oils, ethanol and n-propyl gallate.

Tom.

A similar type of red cement is found on WW2 American radios for screws nuts and bolts. Usual applied inside the radio casing.

Use red oxide primer, same colour, dries out and non toxic and available for anywhere.