What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Demolition items, General wade?

The Camouflet Set, Light was designed by Major (later Major General) Jefferis just before the war when he was with MIR(c) (later MD1[Winston Churchill's Toyshop]). So it is part of a famous family of engineers stores which culminated in the "Great Eastern" an example of which is in the Canadian War Museum.

Presumably he devised the 'Light' pattern for the use of officers!

Extract from RAF manual:

CamSet-002.jpgCamSet-003.jpgCamSet-004.jpgCamSet-005.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Bonnex, Do you have sheets like that for the normal Camoflet Set?
The only reference that I have seen of the regular camouflet set is in the 1955 Demolitions pamphlet from Field Engineering and Mine Warfare.

Camouflet 1 - 1.jpgCamouflet 2 - 1.jpg
Here are the contents of the Camouflet Set Mk1 and the basic use. The number of primers used and the corresponding amount of explosive used in the camouflet do not match any of those listed, probably for security/need to know reasons.

The first Demolition tools list shows the equipment scales at late 1942, at Sqn and 1st line level.
The bits plate shows various hand boring equipment. In the list it says 7lb hammer but you will notice that a 14lb sledge is shown.
There are lighter hand drilling machines which can be can be used with a tripod if necessary. The heavier Drifter type machine as shown can be jacked between floor and ceiling where possible, subject to roof strength.
Originally a variety of reciprocating rock drills were used, but by this time they had largely been replaced by jackhammer types. In these the drill bit rotates with each blow.
The second Demolition tool list shows the equipment scales, at Squadron and Field Park levels, by the end of 1945.

Demolition Tools and Scales - late 1942 - 1.jpgDemolition Tools and Scales bits - late 1942 - 1.jpgDemolition Tools and Scales hand drill - late 1942 - 1.jpgDemolition Tools and Scales hand - end 1945 - 1.jpg

I'm reviving this thread with questions about the Special Light Camouflet Set. I'm just finishing with the book "Winston Churchill's Toy Shop" and it has peaked my curiosity about this apparatus.

First of all, does anyone have an example of the Camouflet Set in their collection, or know of one in someone else's collection or museum?

Secondly, does anyone know of a book that tells the account of one of these sets being used in the field during the war?

Thanks

John