What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swastika marking on WW1 British fuze

Probably not a lot of help but Jinling Arsenal in China used the swastika as a manufacturing emblem on Small Arms Ammunition.

Tony

Recently the same question popped up on this forum (no time to look for it) and the outcome (by heart) was that it is Canadian.

A.M. Co. Is shown as the Amalgamated Ammunition Machinery Co., Ltd. Toronto, Canada. However, I have reservations, especially as they appear only to have been active from 1917 – 1918. Additionally, I can’t see any Canadian acceptance stamps.

The fuze is a No. 102 which is a conversion from a No.100s to incorporate a delay. The fuze was filled at some point by F3 – National Filling Factory No. 3, Park Royal London, N.W. 10.

The Swastika device has been used the world over from ancient times and to complicate matters further was even used by Aboriginal Canadians.

The company of G.D. Peters of Slough had a trademark that incorporated an encircled left-facing Swastika. They are listed as having carried out fuze work.

I think this is a British made fuze converted by G.D. Peters.

TimG

Tim,

Might not A.M.Co. be Advance Motor Manufacturing Co., Northampton? (There don't seem to be any Canadian Land Service stamps.) Then a rework at G.D. Peters wouldn't be unreasonable.

Tom.

Tom,

Could be, there are a number of British candidates for A.M. Co. - Austin Motor Co., Albert Marston & Co., etc.

TimG

Thanks guys.
I'll try to have picture of another fuze no102 from 1916 with a swastika (reverse for this one) with visible manufacture stamps.

As already stated, the swastika has been in use well before the Nazi adopted it - here is the Tsugaru Clan Crest (Japanese Samurai) on the Do front plate.

The Danish later used it (1959) to promote their beer (Carlsberg) on the famous Elephant gates at their brewery.

Attachments

• Tsugaru Clan Crest.jpg
    Tsugaru Clan Crest.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Danish Beer.jpg
    Danish Beer.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I know swastika has been used for a long time by different nations but It could be interesting to identify the fuze manufacture to understand meaning of this stamp at that time.

If you come in the Somme for holidays, go to visit the beautiful cathedral of Amiens (13th century) and you could see swastikas (from Christians) on the tiled floor.

amiens.jpg

In the Hindu culture the Swastika represents the dancing god Shiva. The Nazi swastika apparently was developed from very old germanic "runes". I do not know if other cultures also used this emblem.
Bellifortis.

The attached confirms Messrs G.D. Peters & Co., Ltd. were engaged in converting No.100 fuzes to No.102 fuzes.

TimG

DSC00989.jpg

Hi
Look this one a N°103 I, issue from 102 issue from a N°100 (also A M Co 1915 ( year of introduceIMG_0021.jpgIMG_0023.jpg)
The second one , a fuze N°102 1B also A M C0 1916 but the swastika is in reverse from your....
I think just a control stamp from divers inspectors....

I've seen a few fuzes with this marking. All percussion none timed.

GD Peters also made grenades but I've not seen this mark on any grenade part.

Could it be a specific workshop or possibly sun-contractor identification mark?

The No.102 was a conversion of the No. 100 fuze.
It was/is British practice for a contractor carrying out conversion/modification work to add their monogram/trade mark to the item.
During the Great War period, G.D. Peters & Co., Ltd of Slough used an encircled 'swastika' as a trade mark.
This is a No. 100 fuze manufactured by A.M. Co. (as yet unidentified) converted by G.D. Peters to a No. 102.

TimG

Hi
The most stamps found regulary on fuzes are shown on my N°103 fuze, and on rarely like on my N°102, I've also more N°102 with good way swastika than reverse....
The reason why i think they are two different acceptance inspectors stamps (If not What is the other contactor for the reverse mark.....)