What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chemical Delay Pencils

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Question for the group ... can anyone tell me where these were made, or what country they belong to?
DIA: 8-MM
Length: 137-MM (as shown with the wood dowel)
Length: 128-MM (metal portions)

Joe

Attachments

• DSC_2714.jpg
    DSC_2714.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC_2710.jpg
    DSC_2710.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_2713.jpg
    DSC_2713.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 158
I believe they are post war produced and from the USA. I have found them in styrofoam boxes containing 10 pencils. They originated from a "Stay Behind Storage" from the cold war.

Interesting ... I thought maybe they were Russian, but for countries outside of Russia (hence the mix of Cyrillic and U.S. writing).
Also of note is that the 1038 and black dot are on the Styrofoam container as well.

Joe

I have also found them in card board boxes each containing 20 pencils and steel boxes containing 10 pencils. Both the card board, Steel and Styrofoam boxes has actually been taped closed with the exact same type of grey Gaffa tape that the one in your photo.

Last edited:
id agree more with jvollenberg,I don't think something made in the USA would have Russian writing on it,unless it was a CIA type issue.also the manufacture looks a bit basic for US standards,i think they would be a bit better than polystyrene and duck tape.possibly Yugoslavian made
just a thought anyway

Looks very close to some items I observed which had been recovered by Austrian EOD. They had suppressors, explosives, 3.5-inch rockets etc. Very surprising to me as I had never heard of the program until that time.

I believe they are post war produced and from the USA. I have found them in styrofoam boxes containing 10 pencils. They originated from a "Stay Behind Storage" from the cold war.
These are US made for the Operation Absalon in Denmark. Easily recognizable because of the hexagonal base plug, the British has a round base plug and the firing pin housing is made of zinc platted brass.
Timepencil Switch No.10_Styropor_Box.jpgPencil No.10.jpg

Old post. I have always thought the ones with a copper tube over brass were U.S. and copper over aluminum was British. I have no idea if the U.S. made pencils for other ops or general distribution.

I see Anders said the British spring housings were zinc plated brass. Is that true? Never aluminum?

On the subject of U.S. made items with Cyrillic writing on them or their instruction sheets, most of the WS19 Mk III radios made by three U.S. manufacturers were for the Lend-Lease program to the UK and Commonwealth countries plus the USSR. They carried English and Cyrillic data plates. Same goes for many of the Canadian made WS19s including Mk II models.

I said "most" because the U.S. Marine Corps used some WS19s in the Pacific war.

In regards to the housing being aluminium, yes it is true they are all zinc plated brass.

I have yet to see anybody prove one is made from aluminium, but i guarantee if you scratch them hard enough you will see brass!