What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWI Ground Maxim Machine Guns

cpa1-bis.jpg

cpa3-bis.jpg

Attachments

• A-pion-P1-3.jpg
    A-pion-P1-3.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 28
  • A-pion-P1-3-detail-2.jpg
    A-pion-P1-3-detail-2.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
IMG_2397.JPGForgive the absence due to work. For info the MG08/15 thread and MG08 thread have been merged into this - WWI Ground Maxim Machine Guns. I hope it is of interest and will try and link every post to an ordnance dimension. So a few images of the deactivated MG08/15's.

MG08/15 trench mount

A nice example of the MG08/15 trench mount, seldom seen in period imagery. Probably because as a bipod MG there seems little point in having a trench mount unless used for AA work. Period imagery also shows a similar pattern for the MG08 but often with a lock case added, taken from an old sled no doubt!

DSC01498.jpgDSC01492.jpgDSC01491.jpg

Mark, does this mount have spikes underneath the plate's 4 corners to prevent this unit from moving about?

Regards, Jan

Jan yes it does 4 pointy bits on the legs. Some times those 'pointy bits' are used on the standard wood block for the standard mount, but not always. I guess there must have been recommended patterns for armourers to use but there are certainly enough types of mounts to reflect and 100 years later rejoice in unit armourer imagination! :tinysmile_grin_t:

DF (13).jpgDF (11).jpgDF (9).jpg

bit of a catch up with various threads having been merged. Ground maxim guns can cover all types including the MG08/15.

An example in the Prague Military History Museum.

Tom.

Attachments

• DSC08662.jpg
    DSC08662.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC08660.jpg
    DSC08660.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC08658.jpg
    DSC08658.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 31
inter (1).jpginter (11).jpginter (10).jpgSnufkin thanks for posting. This seems a superb example of the 'inter-war- sled and 08. Changes were made to both pieces and saw some service in WWII, which is where I expect this was 'retrieved'. Although this is the WWI Ground Gun thread I guess its ok to show a few more images of what was converted WWI MGs.:tinysmile_hmm_t: