What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb Identification

HES - High Explosive Substitute - an inert filling.

TimG

P.S. If the drawing and bomb are one of the same, it has a method of filling I've not seen before. The HE version has the front and rear sections of the cavity filled HES and only the centre section filled HE. Somewhat odd to classify it as HC when the explosive content is a mere 31% (3,106 lbs).

Thx for info. I think this strange filling was for testing purpose only. For some reason (safety?) they probably don't need a full-power blast and used reduced charge. If this bomb would be accepted by RAF and put into mass production, it probably would be filled entirely with explosive, without inert substitute, and the explosive content would be 83%.

Speedy,

That would seem to be the most likely explanation. It has been pointed out to me that the number of places where one could have test dropped a bomb of this size totally filled with HE would have been rather limited.

There is an O.B. Proc' number shown on the drawing - I will look this up and see what it says.

TimG

Bit of a crap trick rather than destroying it properly in the first place, just to bury it and leave it for somebody to stumble across.

Wow. Great drawing Bob. I'll ask somebody and see if they were aware of the 31% explosive bit. In the words of the Great Inspector Clouseau 'when asked what kind of bomb was it'? Answer: 'the exploding kind'!

Interesting post, even more interesting as this isnt the only one! My mates dad worked for MB Wilkes years ago and I believe 2 were previously found filled with concrete in the same quarry, Dave(Rickoshea) may remember more when I see him at the weekend. This is also close to Ashley walk and Boscombe down. Tig.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

HES - High Explosive Substitute - an inert filling.

TimG

P.S. If the drawing and bomb are one of the same, it has a method of filling I've not seen before. The HE version has the front and rear sections of the cavity filled HES and only the centre section filled HE. Somewhat odd to classify it as HC when the explosive content is a mere 31% (3,106 lbs).

Tim,

I am told that typically that sort of filling configuration was for a "rough usage" phase of testing; tests that would say, simulate a bomb being dropped during bombing up an aircraft. Add the spiky bits of a bomb trolley and, particularly for a thin-walled HC bomb, the boffins would want to know if there was any likelihood of the filling catching fire or worse if penetrated by metal fittings etc. The test would involve dropping the bomb from scaffolding rather than from an expensive aircraft and initial penetration tests would use the HES/HE/HES filled bombs with a view to spiking the central HE filled part of the bomb with the HES limiting the damage should the experiment high order. As I understand it, having established confidence using lean fillings, the tests would be conducted with fully HE filled bombs.

Norman,

Thank you. That would probably explain why there are broken white lines around the body that correspond to where the boundaries between HES/HE/HES are.

TimG

Interesting. Thanks Norman. I'm guessing that the EOD team were aware of the content make-up? Detonating a 10,000lb bomb would have been an enormous event. The charge seems to have deliberatley been placed at the rear of the bomb on one of the concrete filled parts?
Interesting to read Tig's post regarding these being found here before!

I would hope that finds of large ordnance with filling configurations like this would be confined to experimental establishments and their test grounds/ranges but...

As to whether or not attending EOD teams are aware of the possibility I guess they will be now. Changes in responsibilities for this area of business in the UK will have identified specific training needs for operators who are already 'best of the best'. As always information is a key component of a successful operation and the UK EOD teams are well served by a technical information centre. However in my opinion more historical research into munitions would ultimately pay dividends.

I trust the significance of making a decision on the inertness of a munition based on sampling a relatively small area of filling is not lost on the audience.

Yes - all good points Norman. Really emphasises teh point that everything ordnance related has to be treated with extreme caution!

Tig is correct, this is the third one they've come across. From memory, the other two were said to be concrete filled and were saved, I think one went to the RAF but not sure who had the other. It was originally said they had been 'dropped' but as they were side by side that would not be possible to achieve. Clearly they were dumped. There are two bombing ranges within 20 miles of the quarry, Ashley Walk & Crichel Downs. Aircraft using these ranges, particularly Ashley Walk which was an experimental range, flew out of Boscombe Down due to its extra security. Presumably there was an old quarry near to todays one and it was a suitable place to dump and cover these bombs which were then forgotten about until the current quarrymen extended into the old one - looking at the photos, the bombs are located in sand or some other relatively soft infill rather than rock.

Ashley Walk regularly gives up 2pdr S gun cases & various small practice bombs 'etc'

Dave