What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25lb AS TYPE A MKI

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

Does anyone could share datas of British Anti submarine bomb 25lb ?
I've never seen anything on this bomb.

Regards

875 FUZE 25LB AS.jpg

The smallest AS bomb I found is the 35lb.
Nowhere in my doc is it spoken of a AS 25lb.
In Deminest, H.B. speak about the fuze No 875 but used with the AS 250 lb ! Should it be a manking 0 in your doc ?

Yoda

It could be a mistake as description used to be in the order of growth, 100lb, 250lb, etc...

895 875.jpg

But different documentations mention same 25lb bomb

875 & 895 (from British Bombs and Fuzes (Nov 1944))_Page_2.jpg

Last edited:
For me it looks strange. Described fuze is hydrostatic type, set for detonation on certain deep underwater, namely 22 ft (7 m). It's not a contact fuze, in fact it is carefully designed to avoid detonation on impact.

From what distance a 25 lb (11 kg) bomb could be effective against the submarine hull? I think even in case of direct hit it not guarantee to destroying it. And with stand-off detonation caused by hydrostatic fuze the chance of success is smaller.

According to British calculations Mk.VII (Heavy) Depth Charge from 1940 - a 420 lb (190 kg) bomb with 290 lb (130 kg) TNT load - guarantee to destroy submarine with 7/8 in (22 mm) steel hull from distance of 20 ft (6 m) and to damage forced submarine to surfaced from distance about 40 ft (12 m).

I think you should probably be looking at the Hedgehog anti submarine mortar system.
This seems to be about the right size, looking at Section 7, page 170 of Inter-Service Ammunition and Ammunition Markings system 1948 (in downloads).
Read about USN England, a British Hedgehog fitted warship, which destroyed 6 Japanese submarines in 12 days.

I think you should probably be looking at the Hedgehog anti submarine mortar system.

Hedgehog was bigger: total round weight 65 lb (30 kg) and explosive weight 30-35 lb (13,5-16 kg). And it was armed with contact fuze.

Still I think a 25 lb depth charge would be useless as a weapon (but maybe for acoustic signalling, communication etc.?)