What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gibraltar

exat808

Ordnance approved
I will be making my first ever trip to Gibraltar in March 2017. I only have 4 days in town and need to strike a balance of sightseeing that will keep my good lady happy and something for me as an ordnance/militaria enthusiast.
Any suggestions would be greatly received.
Thank you in advance.

There is a lot to see around Gibraltar, but two things that stood out for me were to:

Go up to the top of the Rock and look at the 9.2" guns up there.

Also go and have a look around the Great Siege Tunnels overlooking the airport

Gibraltar is still a British Overseas Territory. They voted in the referendum and 96% wanted to remain in EU as they have a free border "up the street and across the runway" into Spain. However, where we go they must follow due to their status at present. Things may change. Not sure of visa/passport for non Brit/non EU in the future.

Many years ago, when I was young, I collected postal stamps, some were from places called British colonies (I guess now they are Overseas Territories?). How many are left at the present time? Obviously I have not touched stamps for decades....
Slick, the Barbary macaques are under EU juvenile offender protection laws, and it is a crime to call them thieves (I am sure)

Last edited:
You need no visa, you can use pounds or euros at random. It's an awesome place for the military minded. The 100 ton gun is well worth seeing, will get some pics up later today. Travel by bus, it's cheap and easy, you won't want to drive after seeing the roads. Tours here; http://www.rocktoursgibraltar.com/

Whilst in Gib last year, this little fella sneaked in, can't be any more specific as he's lacking a name, although that looks like a number 3 on the front!
SAM_1444.jpg